Ford Fiesta MK7 - Spark Plug Socket - Ben 10

I bought some servicing items from Ford to do a home service on my Fiesta.

I got one of the new spark plugs out to see what size socket to use. It appeared to fit in a 16mm. When I went to use this on the one I was removing from the engine it was a loose fit and spun round the plug.

Does anyone know what size spark plug socket should remove these plugs. The 14mm was too small.

Cheers.

Ford Fiesta MK7 - Spark Plug Socket - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you will find it is a 14mm size,but you need a double hexagon deep thin wall socket..Most manufacturers are now using this type of spark plug.Special socket is available from ECP car parts or any good motor factor.hth

Ford Fiesta MK7 - Spark Plug Socket - Ben 10

;-)

Ford Fiesta MK7 - Spark Plug Socket - thunderbird

You can buy the correct spark plug sockets at most good accessory stores. They have a runbber insert in to prevent the plug falling out.

Here is a tip I picked up some years ago. Never start screwing a plug into an alloy head using a socket. Its very easy to cross thread them and the resulting damage is expensive to fix. Get a piece of 8mm fuel pipe about 8" long and push it onto the plug, inset down into the head and start to screw, if its cross threaded the rubber will simply slip on the plug with no damage, otherwise it will screw the plug in correctly. Tighten with torque wrench to correct setting, again alloy is easy to damage and expensive to repair.

Always put a bit of copperslip on the threas as well, many Ford engines with 40,000 mile plug changes have had the plus sieze in.