Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - AA & CLAIMFAST being dodgy? - nerner83
My car was crashed into whilst parked on the street last week, no-one was in my vehicle at the time & it was obviously a non-fault accident. My broker (the AA) was very keen to push me towards Claimfast as they said this was my only option where I wouldn't have to pay my £400 excess, and that I would also get a hire vehicle quicker. They advised other options (Zenith my insurer handling it, or if I requested a garage of my own choice fixed it) I would initially have to pay the excess but could claim back at a later date from the other party.
I have found out today (tho too little too late) that my insurer, Zenith, would not have required me to pay my excess at all in this case.
In addition even tho the garage where Claimfast have arranged for it to be fixed have estimated £2700 repair bill to my car, which is worth roughly £3000 they have approved the repairs to go ahead. I am shocked at this as Claimfast told me their threshold to repair or write off the vehicle is 66% of the value of the car.
I've been googling Claimfast & it seems other people have complained & they make all their money from customers having the courtesy car for as long as possible. Am I too suspicious in thinking they have only authorised repairs to the vehicle so that I will have to use the courtesy car for a longer period of time? Is there anything I can do about this?
As it happens I've injured my hand this week and am unable to drive and as of next week I can have use of a family members car due to them having an operation so I don't even need the hire car.
Has anyone any advice? Does anyone think asking them to take the hire car back would make any difference? I'd almost rather they write it off than fix it if the damage is so extensive as to be nearly the value of the vehicle.
Do people think I have a reason to complain to the AA here?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit overwhelmed and annoyed with it all, thank you, Kirsty x
Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - AA & CLAIMFAST being dodgy? - StephW

Hi Kirsty, Someone drove into our car in May 2012. The other party admitted liability and we were also pushed towards Claimfast by the AA. We had a hire car for about 10 days (which was essential to us) whilst our car was repaired (quite far away from our town and organised by Claimfast) and we handed it straight back after the repair and thought not more about it. We have now received a letter from Claimfast, that the other insurer will not pay the hire charges. They now want us to authorise them to issue proceedings which basically means signing lots of documents, filling in forms and if necessary even going to Court, a lot of hassle basically. Because Claimfast's letter did not contain any useful information (they said we have not responded to their post, although we never had anything in writing from them) and the letter we did receive was full of mistakes the whole thing automatically sounded dodgy. There are also quite a few comments on the internet about them where people are surprised that they received letters asking them to authorise proceedings, which makes us think that there are plenty of people out there who were not fully informed that this could happen. If we had known this, we would rather have paid our excess and would not have to worry about this now. I have spoken to the AA about this but their message was basically that this is now our problem, after all they gave us the choice. Obviously they are linked to Claimfast via Acromas Ltd (SAGA as well) and most likely get a nice referral fee for cases like this.

We had other insurance claims before which were dealt with differently without any hassle. What the AA and Claimfast sell as "service" can turn out to be a lot of hassle plus the worry about all the legal jargon plus the unfortunate feeling that you cannot really trust them. We really think they have to look at their procedures, but we guess if they inform people properly upfront quite a few people would decline the offer of their service.

We will not use a claims management company again in the future. This is what makes car insurance so expensive. We wish we had known this before.

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - AA & CLAIMFAST being dodgy? - daveyjp
Unless you have it in writing that you will in no way be held responsible for payment of their highly inflated hire car charges should they fail to secure payment from the third party return the car.

We refused a hire car through Drive Assist (now deceased - shame) and from that point they were useless.
Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - AA & CLAIMFAST being dodgy? - nerner83
This is what I'm worrying about, I keep reading the same story.
I rang Claimfast yesterday to ask how long they think repairs would take & express my confusion that repairs have even been authorised when I know their threshold is 66%, basically they have over-valued my car by about £1000 which takes repair costs to 65%! With all that damage I imagine I will be in this hire car for ages.
However whilst on the phone I was informed that Claimfast have had a new quote from the garage for £3300, so unless they now change their estimated value of my car I really can't see any sense in fixing it. They will let me know next week what they have decided to do.
Oh well I won't make this mistake in future!
Thanks, Kirsty x

Hi Kirsty, I would phone them and ask their procedure what happens if the other insurer is not paying for the car hire because it sounds to me as if you will be another person receiving a letter asking you to authorise proceedings in your name and what will happen if they cannot recover the money via court proceedings. (I would be interested to hear what they say.) If we had the car for 10 days and the insurer is not paying there is a good chance you will be in the same position. It seems to me that they are dragging out the decision and I bet they did not encourage you to return the car to keep the costs low. We still have no response to our letter from Claimfast were we asked these questions but we had a call from Claimfast asking if we received their letter dated.... which again we did not. (Second time they refer to post we never received). Funny that, only Claimfast's letters seem to get lost in post. That is why they do not seem trustworthy.

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - AA & CLAIMFAST being dodgy? - Hamsafar

Last month I used Systenerdrive (Helphire) and they were excellent, did you agree to the terms and conditions? and what did they have to say about this?

Sytnerdrive/Albany said on the phone it is a credit hire agreement where I am liable for the repair and replacement car hire charges, but they will attempt to claim these from the third party on my behalf. They also have a free insurance policy that would pay if the money can't be claimed from the third party, the only exception was if they don't accept liability, but this exception was not applicable, as they already had accepted liability. This was obviously all part of a legal framework of demonstrating a financial loss to the third party.

Sytnerdrive emailed to me URLS of documents to read which I then electronically signed/agreed online. They included me agreeing to assist in any court proceedings, which I am happy with.

Once complete, it was booked in at the dealership for repair and I was issued a like-for-like replacement. 5 days later, all done and swapped back to mine.

I was very pleased with the service as Insurance companies are no friend of mine with their poor communication, cheap and nasty repairs, pokey hire cars and then years of premium hikes. I was happy not to have to claim through them.

There you can see the difference. We had absolutely nothing in writing from Claimfast. Everything was done via phone (sometimes in a rush because they phoned me at work) and it all seemed to me as "part of the service" I was offered through the AA who put me onto Claimfast in the first place. Even the AA website says that they are "our preferred in house claims handler" who will provide me with a car, it does not say credit hire car nor does the leaflet I have received from the AA about Claimfast says anything about a credit hire car. I have dealt with other insurance claims before and the handling of it was similar, organising repair, getting a replacemenet car, therefore I did not think that this was any different. Considering a replacement car was part of my insurance anyway I did not realise that there is more to it because they did not explain all the ins and outs properly. I cannot even remember signing any agreement apart from the rental agreement and if I had then it could only have been at the rental place when I picked up the car after they had already picked up my car for repair. So even if I would then not have liked their terms and conditions, it would have been too late then because I needed a car, plus it is likely that I would not have there and then fully understood the agreement anyway. I cannot recall that I was explained anything at the rental place either, I understood to be signing a rental agreement with the rental company. It all was done in a rush as well as I had to go to work. At the moment I am trying to establish if I have actually signed the agreement.

The problem with Claimfast is procedures. They appear dodgy because their procedures are not good. It is not good if you suggest to people that they are due a replacement car as part of the service and if it then comes to court proceedings they ask you to sign statements where you have to confirm that you have mitigated your losses. They do not ask you to mitigate your losses upfront, i.e. do you really need a car, can you take a smaller car etc. of course this is not in their interest. I even said to the rental company that I would be happy with a smaller car but this was apparently not possible. The fact that you read similar comments on the internet suggests that I am not the only one who is not happy with that company and their procedures. It is not good procedure if you present people with a credit hire agreement and terms and conditions the moment you get your rental car and your own car is already been taken away. What would have been correct is sending is sending the agreement out upfront so that people can read through it, ask questions if they do not understand it and then proceed further. You can of course cancel the agreement afterwards but then you end up with the costs for taking your own car away etc. basically you are trapped.

I am sure that if the money cannot be recovered from the other insurer that their procedure is similar to what you describe because I have not heard that someone actually had to pay up.

Problem is, there are plenty of people out there who are asking if Claimfast is dodgy. Why do they ask that? Because they feel that that they cannot trut them.