vauxhall corsa - credit hire/Insurance charge - alsy

My daughter had an accident in her car not her fault and received a repalcement vehilcle through her insurance company, Diamond insurance. She then had an accident in that vehicle which was her fault (fell asleep at the wheel) and wrote the car off.

Now received invoice for full cost of Corsa (£6,800) from Total Accident Management via Albany car hire based on the fact that she entered into a credit hire agreement. We genuinely thought the car was on her insurance with Diamond and was not aware it was a credit hire agreement.

it looks like we are tied up legally, but I'd appreciate any offers of advice please.

vauxhall corsa - credit hire/Insurance charge - tony g
Hi,
This is an unusual one ,my first thoughts are that regardless of how the car was provided ,credit hire or a simple loan ,it must have been insured .So I would forward the claim to the relevant insurance company .

In addition ,if the clause in the agreement that says your daughter was responsible for the value of the car ,if it was a total loss ,was not made clear .
Then it may be that the agreement could be considered an unfair contract ,possibly making it null and void .

What's happening seems extremely harsh to me .

Good luck

vauxhall corsa - credit hire/Insurance charge - thunderbird

The car must have been insured, if it wasn't the law was being broken. But if it was only 3rd party insurance it will not cover the damage since it was your daughter at fault, if it was fully comp it should cover it.

vauxhall corsa - credit hire/Insurance charge - skidpan

Not wishing to get personal how old is your daughter. £6800 total loss for a Corsa hire car appears to me to be a low figure since hire cars are generally less than 12 months old. Is it perhaps the excess because of her age or other factors.