Vauxhall Frontera - Car dealer won't honour warranty - BplBabe

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give any advice.

Bought a used Vauxhall Frontera on the 30th November. Traded in our old vehicle and paid a further £650 cash. The car was advertised and sold with a three month warranty.

Fast forward to the first week in January and the car starts misfiring. Took it to a local garage who tells us that the head gasket/valves need work and the car is firing on only two of the four cylinders. We've been quoted £700 and £600 respectively by two independent garages.

Contacted the dealer who advised we should claim against the warranty provider, but he won't give us any warranty details. Had a further discussion with him during which he told us that it was "just one of those things" and the car was "sold as seen".

We've sent him a Recorded Delivery letter outlining his responsibilities under The Sale of Goods Act but received no response. I also sent an online report to Trading Standards.

Looks like we're going to have to take this rogue to Court, but I wondered if anyone has any idea as to what Trading Standards are likely to do. Would they be likely to pay him a visit?

Many thanks for your advice :o)

Vauxhall Frontera - Car dealer won't honour warranty - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK it is up to the dealer to prove that the fault was NOT present when the vehicle was sold, for up to 6 months after the sale. Additionally you may care to read this advive from HJ

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Thank you :o)

You are welcome.

Vauxhall Frontera - Car dealer won't honour warranty - tony g
( Looks like we're going to have to take this rogue to Court, but I wondered if anyone has any idea as to what Trading Standards are likely to do. Would they be likely to pay him a visit? )
Trading standards and citizens advice are a waste of time .The only way to enforce your rights is the small claims court .Lots of advice online .
Vauxhall Frontera - Car dealer won't honour warranty - focussed

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give any advice.

Bought a used Vauxhall Frontera on the 30th November. Traded in our old vehicle and paid a further £650 cash. The car was advertised and sold with a three month warranty.

Fast forward to the first week in January and the car starts misfiring. Took it to a local garage who tells us that the head gasket/valves need work and the car is firing on only two of the four cylinders. We've been quoted £700 and £600 respectively by two independent garages.

Contacted the dealer who advised we should claim against the warranty provider, but he won't give us any warranty details. Had a further discussion with him during which he told us that it was "just one of those things" and the car was "sold as seen".

We've sent him a Recorded Delivery letter outlining his responsibilities under The Sale of Goods Act but received no response. I also sent an online report to Trading Standards.

Looks like we're going to have to take this rogue to Court, but I wondered if anyone has any idea as to what Trading Standards are likely to do. Would they be likely to pay him a visit?

Many thanks for your advice :o)

To simplify the procedure here's what what I would do:-

Send the trader a registered letter setting out the problem that the car that he sold you is faulty, you have had it diagnosed by another garage and it's going to cost £££ to put right.

State that if he does not respond favourably to your latest letter within fourteen days and undertake to repair your faulty car you will get it repaired elsewhere and sue him in the county court small claims track for the cost of the repair plus the court fee plus your reasonable expenses.

As previously posted, forget trading standards, they are as much use as a ashtray on a motorbike, they won't get you your money back.

Thanks for your replies. We sent the usual Sale of Goods Act letter and reported the seller to Trading Standards. Surprise surprise the dealer got in touch and said he'd repair the car. It's now sitting back outside the house having had the head gasket repaired :-)

Thanks for getting back to the forum with news of your success!

Vauxhall Frontera - Car dealer won't honour warranty - jc2

Now sell it-before anything else happens.