Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI (2008) - Cold weather issue - DavLav

Over the last few weeks when the weather has been a lot colder, I have noticed a whining noise on start up. It appears to be coming from the front nearside of the engine bay. I think it's to do with power steering, as it seems to sound louder each time the steering wheel is turned and quietens down again on the straight ahead although still audible.

The noise disappears after a few minutes when the engine has started to warm up and it doesn't seem to have to reach the normal operating temperature.

Any thoughts please?

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI (2008) - Cold weather issue - daveyjp
Probably the supplementary engine heater, it sounds like a fan heater and warms the water in the block, otherwise with such a large engne it would be miles before you had warm air in the cabin.
Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI (2008) - Cold weather issue - Collos25

When did they start fitting these? BMWs have a heat retention system as do some DB.Sounds to me as though the power steering pump is a little noisier when the fluid is stiff.

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI (2008) - Cold weather issue - Hamsafar

My webasto aux heater in the A8 sometimes make a strange moaning/whining noise, but if it really is dependant upon steering, then it probably is steering pump related. Check the steering wheel fluid is green (CHF-11S) , some garages put red ATF in which is usually much higher cold viscosity.

Edited by Hamsafar on 14/01/2013 at 18:22

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI (2008) - Cold weather issue - daveyjp
All my Audis have had them. The A2 had a Webasto diesel burner, the A3s had the electric system.
Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI (2008) - Cold weather issue - Collos25

I do not know of an Audi that fits these units as standard not even the Q8 or VW Pheaton ,an after market webasto pre warmer but you can have these to fit these to any car .Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with a diesel fuel pre heater.I have just asked my neighbour who has a A6 2.7 estate if he has one fitted he says if it has its new to him.

Edited by Collos25 on 14/01/2013 at 19:30