Ford Mondeo - Glow plug light flashing - chappo75

Hi,

I have a 2003 Mondeo TDCi. A few weeks ago the glow plug light started flashing and it became difficult to start from cold as if the glow plugs aren't working. It was running really rough with a lot of knocks and shaking. I had the codes read and there was a problem with injector 2. I got a replacement from my local scrap dealer and got my local garage to fit it. This cured the running problem, the car now has lots of power and runs better than ever when it's up to temperature. The glow plug light is still flashing however and it's still difficult to start from cold and there's a bit of diesel knock until it warms up. I got an F Super to read the codes myself. It reads the live data fine, I've checked all of the injector codes but there are no DTC's. After looking on various forums I've changed the cam sensor and the diesel filter to no avail. It doesn't have the common problems of cutting out when giving it the beans. Has anyone got any ideas other than torching the thing?

Ford Mondeo - Glow plug light flashing - RT

Sounds like the glow plugs aren't working - they have zero effect once the car has warmed up, indeed get switched off long before that. The injector problem isn't directly related.

First thing to check is that you're getting power to the glow plugs when appropriate - they'll be on a timer driven by a temperature sensor - so this weather is ideal to check it out.

Ford Mondeo - Glow plug light flashing - daveyjp
Wiring loom problems can cause running problems. Check the top pulley isn't fraying the injection wiring loom as they are close together.
Ford Mondeo - Glow plug light flashing - chappo75

Thanks RT. Can you offer any advice on how to check the voltage to the glow plugs? Do you know where the temperature sensor is?

Ford Mondeo - Glow plug light flashing - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Ford Mondeo - Glow plug light flashing - Collos25

The flashing glowplug light is unfortunately a general warning light for many other things not just glow plugs,a faulty EGR valve,faulty sensors ,faulty turbo,faulty turbo actuator etc.Although I tend to agree with RT but do not be too blinkered.