Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - koliva

Hi all,

I am about to buy a second hand 308. It is 2010 model and the mileage is about 40K. I tested the car for couple of minutes and it drives quite smooth. I was wondering if there is any way of testing the health of the engine? Some people say that place one hand on top of the oil filler and increase the rpm. If you feel any blow on your hand it's bad, if not it's good.Do you agree with this? What else can I check to test the engine?

I am a bit suspicious about the engine because I realized that there is no antifreeze in the expansion tank. Since the car is delivered with antifreeze when it was brand new and I don't give any chance to the owner to change the coolant within 3 years with a coolant without antifreeze for no reason, I am suspecting of possible damage on the car. Do you agree with me? Can you comment on this?

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - RT

Lack of visible coolant in the expansion tank does indicate that it's not been well serviced - but at so young an age it may be a sign of something worse.

If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - koliva

No I meant there is enough coolant in the expansion tank but like plain water. I mean colorless. I told the owner that the coolant should be with antifreeze and if there would be antifreeze the coolant should have a distinc color. He didn't know why there the coolant is without antifreeze. I also didn't understand why. That's why I am asking you guys the possible reasons behind it. Today I will go and run the car when the engine is cold and see if there is a black smoke or noise coming from engine. Do you have any comment on putting hand on the oil filler part? Does it really mean something if it blows?

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - Armitage Shanks {p}

Sounds a bit dubious and from a private seller who knows very little about about cars. Aren't there plenty more 308s within a few miles of you? Private may be cheap but buying from a dealer gives you a lot of legal redress when/if things go wrong.

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - unthrottled

My antifreeze mixture is colourless The orange/pink colourthat you expect to see is only a dye that is sometimes used as an indicator.

I run a weak mixture of antifreeze ie roughly 25/75 instead of 50/50 because the higher the proportion of water the better the cooling properties of the liquid

Does it really mean something if it blows?

It means there's blowby. All engines have blowby. Excessive blowby indicates engine wear. I don't think you'll be able to make even a subjective judgement by putting your hand opver the oil filler cap.

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - RT
Does it really mean something if it blows?

It means there's blowby. All engines have blowby. Excessive blowby indicates engine wear. I don't think you'll be able to make even a subjective judgement by putting your hand opver the oil filler cap.

In days gone by it took mechanics' experience to know what is normal blowby and what's excessive blowby - these days with crankcase ventilation and emissions control should mean a slight vacuum if you do the oil cap test, even if the engine is worn, unless it's terminal.

I wouldn't be concerned about a bit of puffing from the oil filler cap-at least while the cap is off! Piston rings don't seal well when (petrol) engines are idling and the PCV is almost closed otherwise, the high manifold vacuum would try to suck the crankcase dry. I get light puffing from the filler cap while the breather hose is simultaneously drawing a slight vacuum! Haven't quite figured this one out yet-I suspect Monsieur Bernoulli is involved simewhere...

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - Cyd

Pug 308s are reasonably plentiful - look for another

My 5 yr old Saab and 9 yr old Cit Dispatch are both still on their original factory fill coolant and are both a nice clean orangy/pink colour.

If this owner has had this car from new, then he's hiding something IMO

My 5 yr old Saab and 9 yr old Cit Dispatch are both still on their original factory fill coolant and are both a nice clean orangy/pink colour.

Orange coolant is just slob's juice. It's long life coolant means that it can sit in the system for five years instead of two. But just as long life milk isn't better than normal mik, neither is long life coolant.

Judging a car by such arbitrary criteria makes no sense at all.

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - Avant

Absolutely true, Unthrottled: but given that most cars' original coolant is coloured (for whatever reason) what is worrying in this case is that a 2-year-old car doesn't seem to have the original coolant. If there isn't a plausible reason available for this, best to look for another car (even better, something othe than a Peugeot).

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - Cyd

The point I was making is that cars are filled with 50/50 of a nice pinky/orange colour at the factory and that even after a number of years the coolant should still be clean and coloured. I was merely trying to illustrate this point. If there were problems (such as internal corrosion) then the coolant might be brownish and there might be brown stains in the expansion bottle.

A two year old car should have nice clean orange coolant in the bottle (whatever you might think of it's merits or not). The fact this car has clear water in there means the original coolant has been drained (or leaking slowly and only topped with water). On the presumption the current owner is the first owner then he should know why. I see nothing arbitrary in this - it suggests a problem.

When buying a secondhand car, it has to be judged by some critera. As clear water in the bottle is very odd for a two year old and there is no forthcoming explanation then unless this is a very special car, my opinion is to simply look for another.

As we can't see the car, all we can do is express an opinion based on the available information.

If the OP is especially keen on this car, he could buy it and flush out the cooling system with a proprietory compound and refill with fresh new coolant mix. It might be okay. He could use this to beat the price down a little. On the other hand................

Peugeot 308 - Second hand car engine test - bathtub tom

Can we be sure the OP was looking at the coolant expansion bottle and not the windscreen washer reservoir?

It could as simple as a leaky hose or radiator. I'd have a look for telltale crusty remnants of coolant around the cooling system.

It's like checking the dipstick. If you pulled the dipstick out and there was no oil on it, you'd walk away. The vender will kick himself, buy some oil, and the next viewer will probably buy the car. If the dipstick has fresh amber oil up to the max mark, you don't know that you're not that next person.

This is why I would not immediately dismiss a car with a few, possibly minor, faults. It simply means that the vender didn't have the nous to dress the car up for sale. As a buyer, that allows me to see the vehicle in "as kept" condition.

If you want reassurance, private sales are not for you.