Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 2002 1.4 LS 16V Z14XE - Misfire Cylinder 3 - EagleStain

Hi.

I have an 02 plate Astra 1.4 16V engine type Z14XE, which has misfired on Cylinder 3. This isn't the first time this has happened (about the 6th or 7th) I've had the plugs changed twice, new coil pack, new ecu, new egr, and a software update but the problem still seems to be there.

I've just bought a new Lambda sensor which I'm hoping to get fitted soon, I'm also going to ask if them to switch the injectors round to see if the problem jumps cylinder (to determine if the injector is at fault) or if it stays on the same cylinder.

I was just wondering if anyone else has any ideas as to what might be the problem? It seems to happen when I'm on my way home from work and the engine is warming up. It also has only started happening since I topped the oil up a few months back, although I'm told this has nothing to do with it?

Many thanks in advance, Keni.

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 2002 1.4 LS 16V Z14XE - Misfire Cylinder 3 - 1litregolfeater

Worn rings on cyl 3 due to inadequate servicing?

Next time it happens take spark plug 3 out and if it's oily...

Thanks for the reply. I've owned the car since last year and haven't had it serviced yet. So I'll get the rings checked.
Vauxhall Astra G Petrol 2002 1.4 LS 16V Z14XE - Misfire Cylinder 3 - 1litregolfeater

A little bit of extra care works wonders with Vauxhalls, their servicing recommendations are put together on a spreadsheet to please fleet owners and increase sales.

If the engine has been neglected you may find that the rings, oil pump, big ends, and the whole of the top end, along with the timing kit, may have suffered to some extent.

Their mission after all is selling cars, not fixing them.

Haha sounds about right.

After so much hassel and wasted money on "could be's" I have now cut my losses and gotten ris of the car. Decided on it after I was told it could be the head gasket and it was gonna cost between £400-£500 to replace with no guarentee of a cure.

I now have a lovely 1.6 Ford Focus. So here's hoping for a much better run around with this one!