Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - Alison TB

I have a '62 plate MazdaMX5 - Roadster coupe, which since day 1, has had a short, but clearly audible.engine rattle when starting from cold. If the car has stood overnight, it is a bit hard to hear, as the choke takes the revs up so quickly that it masks the sound. If however, you take the car for a run, leave it to stand for an hour or so, and start again, the rattle is very clear. The car has been back to the dealer, but as they didn't keep the car long enough to listen to it after an hour or so, they didn't find anything wrong. Their feeling is that everyting is OK; I'm a bit unconvinced. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - ohsoslow

Doubt this will help, but my elderly Mk1 did this, due to the oil for the hydraulic tappets draining down while standing. I was told that the oil filter had to be the proper Mazda part which had a non-return device to keep oil in the system. Other filters may have had this but the genuine part was sure to have it and was no more expensive than most others.

Don't know if later cars are the same.

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - craig-pd130

How long does the rattling sound last for? It's hard to diagnose sounds without actually hearing them, but as the previous poster said, it could be hydraulic tappets. However, I wouldn't have thought they would rattle after only an hour or so following a run.

However, you do have a couple of things on your side:

1) you've got a couple of years warranty to run

2) you've already raised the issue with the dealer, so you can't be accused of ignoring it. Do Mazda offer a 'quality assurance inspection' after 3 months of ownership to sort out any post-sale niggles? You could raise it again at that, or if Mazda don't do those, wait until the first service and raise it again.

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - skidpan

The Mazda MX5 uses the same engine as the Mondeo and that engine does not have hydraulic tappets. Cannot believe that Mazda would change that component.

Don't the Mondeos use the Zetec mill anymore? They did have hydraulic tappets.

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - skidpan

Don't the Mondeos use the Zetec mill anymore? They did have hydraulic tappets.

Mondeo's used Zetecs fron introduction to 2000 when the Mk 2 was introduced, this used the Duratec which is the all alloy engine also used by Mazda.

With the Mk 1 its not that simple, at introduction it was fitted with the "Silvertop" engine (alloy cam cover) which had hydraulic tappets. In some early cars these gave some problems with sticking valves and noisy tappets which Ford sorted by changing the oil spec from 10w/40 to 5w/30. When the revised Mondeo was introduced in 1996 the engine was revised to use mechanical tappets ans becam known as the "Blacktop" (black plastic cam cover). There were other changes as well such as different pistons, different rods, different oil and water pumps, even the block and head castings were different. Basically the only part that is interchangeable between the engines is the crank. The "Blacktop" was used in the 1800 and 2000 Mk 1 Focus, the Mk 2 Focus used the Duratec.

Mondeo's used Zetecs fron introduction to 2000 when the Mk 2 was introduced, this used the Duratec which is the all alloy engine also used by Mazda.

With the Mk 1 its not that simple

Thanks Skidpan, interesting. I didn't know they'd changed from hydraulic to mechanical tappets.

I had a Mark 1 1.8 which was a very good car, its only vice was the hydraulic tappets 'pumped up' if you didn't run the engine for at least a minute from stone cold (as you mention). If you started from cold and switched off again quickly, it would take ages to restart.

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - 1litregolfeater

No quite right to worry, what oil have you got in there and how long since changed?

I'd imagine an oil change and filter with 5-30 or 5-40, whichever is preferred, would lubricate hydraulic tappets. Synthetic oil.

However if it's a real old world big end rattle which it does sound like you'll need new big end shells, maybe new mains, and it might be cheaper to get a replacement engine.

Possibly oil pump wear, you'll only ever know if you take it to bits. If it's done it from day one just keep changing the oil and stop worrying.

Make sure you're using good oil filters with a valve that works. I think some let the oil leak back and you get a rattle.

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - galileo

The OP says it is a 62 plate, so only a few months old, so any problem should be a warranty job.

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - 1litregolfeater

Oh yes, whoops, thanks for pointing this out, why hasn't he taken it back?

I thought it was an old banger like mine, people who buy new cars must be disappointed with the lack of attention they get since the new number plates!

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Engine rattle from cold start - Alison TB

Oh yes, whoops, thanks for pointing this out, why hasn't he taken it back?

I thought it was an old banger like mine, people who buy new cars must be disappointed with the lack of attention they get since the new number plates!

I have taken it back (see original post) but think I may do so again. Thanks everyone for their comemnts.