Suzuki SX4 v Swift - Which car? - Brianthebubble

Has anyone had experience of the Suzuki SX4 1.6 Petrol and the Swift 1.2 Petrol. I have always had an interest in the SX4, but recently sat in both the SX4 and Swift at my local Suzuki dealer. For me a big advantage of the SX4 would be the height and ease of access but sitting in the Swift I was impressed by the quality and space of this car. Having both cars next to each other, yes there was a difference in height but not as much as I had expected.

Bringing in two other cars, the last year 2008 of the Mazda 3 hatch/ saloon and the same year 2008 Renault Megane Saloon, together with the SX4 (and perhaps the Swift as well) how would you compare these three (four) cars as cars, not considering the difference in age, and what would be your preference? I appreciate its an odd collection but they are the three I have always been looking at.

Suzuki SX4 v Swift - Which car? - Engineer Andy

I can only comment realistically about the car I own, which is a 2006/55 plate Mazda3 1.6 petrol TS2 saloon. It goes and rives pretty well, not quick, but not bad, though you may want to check which tyres (if still on the originals) it is running on, as the original-fit Bridgestone ER30's are horrible (see the reviews of the 205/55 R16's on www.tyrereviews.co.uk/) and make the firm suspension even harder.

The facelift 2008 car is an improvement in terms of ride quality, but is less responsive (at least on the 1.6 petrol) as they downrated some models' engines to get into lower CO2 groups. Reliability is generally very good on the petrol models, less so on the diesels (see HJ review section) - all the problems to do with them and the ones with traction/stability control should hopefully have been fixed by now.

One major downside of having the saloon over the hatch is that the short-lipped boot (though larger in capacity at 400 lts to the hatch at ~350) of the saloon means that large cube-shaped boxes cannot fit through the boot opening or go through via the back doors, whereas the hatch could accomodate them by just taking off the parcel shelf then replacing it when the item is in the boot. Rear visibility for parking on the saloon is not that great either compared to the hatch, but the car is more rigid and handles better (according to HJ).

As an asside on the SX4, you should note that it is a Suzuki-Fiat car, so you may find that it is not as god quality or reliable as others in the Suzuki range. Suzukiis conesidered generally to be lower down the "pecking order" in terms of quality as Japanese car-makers go.

I would study HJ's reviews for all four cars (the Car-by-car review section) as well as our indiviual opinions, as your needs and driving style will play an important part. Given there's an apprecable difference in size between the Swift and the other cars you listed, you may want to review what you want out of a car - you may (or may not) need a large boot or room for 5 adults, so keep thinking abou that as well.

Best of luck.

Andy, thank you for your advice. I realise comparing the Swift with the other three cars was not perhaps the best thing to have done.

Going back to the three original choices, it does come down to the type of car. I currently drive an old Renault Megane Saloon 'R' reg, which has done me well, and despite bills for mechanical and electrical problems, I still marvel how smooth and comfortable it is to drive. A couple of days ago, I picked up my wife's brother, his wife and daughter and three large suitcases - the son and my wife took the train from Gatwick. Looking at the Mazda 3, I think I could have done the same with the saloon but not with the hatch. The smooth running of the Renault I have brings in the later Renault Megane up to 08 into my thinking, and the reliability of the Mazda 3 - I feel more drawn to the 3 saloon but can see the practicality of the hatch. The SX4, has the advantage of height but I take your point re possible build quality, although from what I read Suzuki and Mazda do seem to be on a par quality wise. I would guess, however, the Mazda 3 up to 08 and the same Renault Megane Saloon, would see the Mazda preferred. Looking at the prices for the Mazda 3 saloons, there are some pretty low mileage models for reasonable money. What got me thinking about the SX4 was the ease of getting in and out - with my Renault, I have to haul myself out. I thought it was just me, but when I saw my brother-in-law doing the same, I knew it was the car.

Looking at the reviews and HJ's opinions, maybe the Mazda 3, either saloon or hatch, might the better choice and I am sure both the Mazda 3 and the newer Megane would both have a higher driving position than what I have now. One final thing about the SX4 are the 'A' pillar windows. It is very strange sitting in the car and having what looks like a narrow windscreen in front of you.

Thank you again for your help and experience with the Mazda 3 saloon.

Suzuki SX4 v Swift - Which car? - Engineer Andy

I was fortunate that for the most part, my Mazda3 saloon "fit the bill" for its load-carrying capacity (I've only ever had one problem trying to fit a large box in the boot). Of course, I went for the saloon as well because its a far better looking car than the hatch (at least for the 2004-2008 model). Note that the saloon is less poular (probably becaus of the boot issue and no parcel shelf that can be removed), so you'll get a better deal on them when buying second-hand - of course, you'll get less when you sell it, but by then the difference will be considerably less than when newer.

I think an extended test drive would be in order for all your possible choices - when I was looking to buy mine, I also looked at the Honda Jazz and Civic 3dr (both the 2005/6 models, not the latest versions), and discovered that, for me at least, the best of the three was the Mazda (it did help that the Mazda was heavily discounted [even new ones] at car supermarkets [where I bought mine] due to over supply from Japan, whereas the Hondas weren't and cost about 10-20% more). Driving comfort made a lot of difference to me, for example the 3dr Civic had no foot rest (the weirdly placed gear stick was ok), which I found made my left leg uncomfortable when not using the clutch. The Jazz was fine, if a little slow (in comparison to the Mazda), but was actually more expensive for a lower-specced model (no discount) than the Mazda, which made my decision for me.

The best piece of advice I got was to not buy straight after seeing the cars - give it a week for the experience of looking around and driving them to sink in, keep looking on the web (including here and on other review sites) for review and information, including finding out about running costs (servicing costs/intervals [12.5k or one year for the Mazda @ £230 ave. at main dealers], insurance, replacements [tyres - maybe £100 difference between a set of 15in and 16-17in tyres], fuel, etc) - which could make a lot of difference in your annual outgoings (definitely for the Swift compared to the larger cars).

Andy. Thanks again for your experience re the Mazda 3 saloon. Like you, I do have a liking for the saloon and my choice has been centred on the Mazda 3 and the Renault Megane up to 08 for both. I teach in adult education and I keep a lot of materials in the boot , which has become something like an office. I know it is secure. Like you, comfort is very important and how quiet the car is especially at higher speeds - although I rarely go above 80. I did meet someone in an ASDA car park driving a Mazda 3 saloon who had also driven Renaults and he preferred the overall reliability of the Mazda 3 - thiswas an 04 I think.

Looking at the SX4, I know that HJ has always preferred the post 2010 new upgraded engine but this would make the car the car more expensive and having looked at a couple of themes regarding how much to spend on a car, I feel more inlcined to look for something around 08 than anything newer , even if I had the money which I do not.

Suzuki SX4 v Swift - Which car? - bazza

I also had an old Megane saloon and have yet to own anything as comfortable. But just a thought, why not look at a Nissan Qashqai which might tick all your boxes, particularly ride comfort and ease of access?

Bazza. Thank you for your reply. Yes, exactly and that's what makes use the Renault as the benchmark. The ride is so smooth even after 14 years - as is the car radio/ cassette - excellent speakers. It just feels right - and while there is a tug when I look at the Renault Megane II, I have heard so many problems re electrics and reliability although having said that, the later ones, nearer to its end - 08/09, were said to be much better made. I have sat in the Qashqai once when it first came out and will have a look at HJ's reviews. Looking at Andy's opinion of the Mazda 3 saloon, I would guess that, and the Qashqai to be at a higher level of quality. Do you drive a Qashqai yourself? HJ likes the SX4 but it would need to be post 2010 with the newer engine and that would make it more expensive.

Looking at the replies to mm707 on 'Whether to buy a Toyota?', many replies are commenting on the reliability of the Toyota Avensis (I would look to the saloon) as very reliable and again up to 08/09 would be another possibility - I don't know how the Toyota Avensis 08 compares with Mazda 3 saloon 08 and the Renault Megane Saloon 08? Does anyone have any experience of the three cars?