VW Polo 1.2 2005 - coil pack problem - poloowner

Hi there,

i have a 2005 polo 1.2 that is shaking and feels like it is missing and in for a service with a local quick fit type place they have advised that the engine has a coil pack gone and needs replacing, and they said it is best to replace all three?

my question is do i need to replace all three and if not, if doing this at home how do i tell which one is gone, is it a case of take one out and fit the new one and if it is no different try the next one (process of elimination) or is there a quick easy way to tell which one is gone to replace just the one?

thanks poloowner

VW Polo 1.2 2005 - coil pack problem - Collos25

I would and I would also change the plugs while I was at it.

Coil pack replaced on cylinder 3 but problem still there. It seems the car is fine when cold but after 5 minutes and the engine is warmed up then it runs like a bag of nails and splutters along, car will not go any higher than 25mph so any suggestions welcome??

Why did you not change all the coil packs along with the plugs.

VW Polo 1.2 2005 - coil pack problem - elekie&a/c doctor

"Runs like a bag of nails."This sums up this horrible 3 cylinder engine.Type in Vw polo and last 60 days in the search box above for more infomation.hth

VW Polo 1.2 2005 - coil pack problem - Crasher

It could be suffering from the all too common burnt out exhaust valve, this 3 cylinder engine is not proving to be a very dependable unit, I have had to rebuild the heads on them with 30K miles on the clock.

Latest update on this bag of nails saga!

coil has been replaced and no real change. following the suggestion to change the plug i have pulled out the spark plug last night (allthough they are all less than a week old) and i have found that the plug has no gap at all, and the plug nipple has been rounded off where as the other two are perfectly flat, so this may have been caused by the heat from the failing coil (which does have a scourch mark on it)

A late nigh attempt to get new plugs resulted in a dash to halfords for a set of plugs and i will fit them later today after an exchange is done (they gave me the wrong plugs) to see if this will help any.

thanks for all the advise so far

So you changed the coil pack and didn`t look at the plugs whos doing this job remind me to stay away.

Wrong plug doesnt´replace coil packs doesn`t check plugs a recipe for disaster and the plug that was changed by a person unknown could have been to long and damaged the piston.

VW Polo 1.2 2005 - coil pack problem - Crasher

Yes but it is all the cars fault...