C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - FatBob

I am after a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, and have a budget of about £7500.

It's going to do about 10,000 miles a year, mainly on short journeys and so reading about DPF's and other scary diesel problems, I'm heading over towards a 1.6 petrol engine. Are these reliable?

I've not read a good thing about the EGS auto gearbox either, so I think it'll have to be a manual.

£7500 will get me a 59 plate, with about 20k on the clock.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - Trilogy

My brother has a C4 Grand Picasso. It is a petrol, with the rubbish EGS auto gearbox. They are pleased with it, apart from the auto, which is not as smooth as their Golf MK3 that preceded it. Nor is it as solid feeling as a VW but I believe it does well in NCAP tests.

C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - gordonbennet

If you can manage with 4 seats there is always the option of the little known ''Lounge'' model.

Based on the 5 seater hatch version of C4 Pic it has 4 extremely comfortable leather seats, Captain style (you'll have to check if the rear can accomodate a 5th passenger i don't recall it can), and a proper good auto gearbox not satans rubbish automanual thing, i believe its 2 litre petrol but happy to be put right if thats wrong.

People i know who have bought this model have been very pleased, was expensive new, fancy wheels too.

Does anyone know what the reliability is like on this model?

C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - Trilogy

Look in the HJ reviews section. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/citroen/c4-grand-pic.../

C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - BigJohnD

The major issues with the C4GP Picasso Exclusive are:

• The self-levelling pneumatic rear suspension can fail around the 3 year mark (allegedly resolved on new models);
  • EGS problems, while not very common, are expensive to resolve, requiring removal at the owner's expense for examination. If there are any untoward noises or knocking from the clutch/gearbox, walk away;
  • Driver's seat cushion frequently breaks up, and again is expensive to replace - around £600;
  • The seals on the high level brake light can fail allowing water in, which collects in the boot well;
  • Misalignment of bonnet and front bumper needs to be checked;
  • Reflection and refractions in the large sloping windscreen can cause double images at night;
  • The 1.6HDi engine is all but bullet proof if the oil is changed thoroughly every 12,500 or earlier. Some owners report the 1.6HDi is not powerful enough for such a big vehicle when fully loaded and the recommend the 2.0HDi;
  • If the C4 GP has Xenon headlamps, a replacement lamp assembly is around £800.
  • Juddery gear changes in the first instance can be put down to learning how to use the gearbox. I have a friend with one, he's mastered it and it goes really well! Some aberrations can be cured by having the actuation software updated. But as above, any whines and chirps need investigating, which can be expensive before any repair is carried out.
  • There are some horrendous tales about the electric parking brake failing, but they can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and all down to user error of leaving the key of the ignition lock. It is designed to fail safe (with the key removed) when the ignition and engine are off. The usual question is how to take the auto-handbrake off when the engine is not running so the rear brakes can be serviced.
  • Economy Mode annoys C4Pic owners a lot, as there are big battery demands. It is a complex system designed to ensure the battery does not go flat. If it kicks in within 3 or 4 minutes, and battery is 3+ years old, look at a new battery.

Lots more info at: C4Owners.org

BTW, "End of plastic dipstick of 1.6 HDI engine can break and drop into sump requiring removal of sump to retrieve it." is a myth. The sump does not need to be removed. The end of the distick was so poor it completely disintegrated and was caught in the oil filter.

Edited by BigJohnD on 14/12/2012 at 10:15

C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - madf

It's a Citroen. Spending £7500 on badly designed badly built French cars seems a little odd to me...

Your not the first person to say this to me!! Most people tell me to go Japenese... Honda FR-V, Toyota Verso, Mazda 5...

C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - getafix

Most reliable car its caregory according to Adac.de

www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/Pannenstatistik_2009_74031.pdf

Edited by getafix on 14/12/2012 at 21:08

C4 Grand Picasso - Advice - BigJohnD

Thanks, getafix.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Pretty positive views all in all.