Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - IvanGasQ

Hi,

I have a huge problem with my seat Leon. A week ago it worked normally, before it went to minus temp and snow. After which I tried it again (roughly 5 days after the cold started), and no start. You can hear some winding noise, before it gives up. The warning lights fire up:

1. Alternator light

2. Breaks/hand break

3. EPC

4. ABS

5. Engine

6. Air Bag

Click to see image of dashboard 01

Click to see image of dashboard 02

Non of them flash, they just appear after i insert the key in, and wait a few seconds. The radio works, so I assume it cant be the alternator/accumulator, but as I am quite in experienced in motoring problems, I might be wrong.

Once it went a bit warmer (+2 c) it still will not start, and compared to the day before, seems to have even less power. When I turn the key, the LCD display displays strange stuff.

Has this got anything to do with the cold or the coolant pump or the accumulator? It’s very strange, just to stop like this. Also, I’m mainly a weekend driver, as I commute to work by train.

I would appreciate any info, suggestions or even ideas what to try. But, as I mentioned, I am in experienced in this stuff, so I might ask a few stupid/obvious question along the way :)

Many thanks in a advance guys, I hope you can somehow help me.

Ps: I checked previous posts, but didn’t find something that seemed related directly.

Best regards,

I.J.Gaskell

Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - Big John

New car battery required? When batteries are cream crackered they usually expire on the first bad cold sanp.

Have you tried starting whilst the battery connected to another car using jump leads (careful with polarity). If it starts OK then I would suggest battery on its way out. (i.e. it will fail again)

Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - IvanGasQ

New car battery required? When batteries are cream crackered they usually expire on the first bad cold sanp.

Have you tried starting whilst the battery connected to another car using jump leads (careful with polarity). If it starts OK then I would suggest battery on its way out. (i.e. it will fail again)

Hi, cheers for replying.

What do you exactly mean by cream crackered? I wanted to try this out with jump leads, but as I am a Liverpool guy in Hamburg, Germany, lingo is a bit of a problem, but will ask around at work tomorrow(trouble started on weekend as usual ;).

How much do you think the butchers bill will be for a new battery?

Cheers

Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - unthrottled

I got a battery from a breakers for £10. Since you have a petrol, you don't need to have the most cold cranking amps. Any battery that isn't totally goosed should start a petrol in the cold.

New, they are upwards of £50.

Hi,cheers, i will check it out.

But,could it still be the battery,even if the dashboard and radio did start,and worked with no problem,didnt leave it on long thou. Again,im sorry if I ask dead obvious questions,im a total noob :-)

If anyone had simillar issues,would be good to hear from you...

Thanks again!Much appriciated...

Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - unthrottled

Yes. Your accesories (lights, radio etc) only require a small current, whereas a starter motor requires a huge current draw. A kaput battery will easily deliver 10A or so for lights but be unable to deliver the 100A or so required for the starter motor. If you opo up the bonnet you might hear a relay clicking back and forth as you attempt to start the car. Modern starter motors usually have an interlock so they don't attempt to turn the engine if the current is insufficient.

Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - gordonbennet

As you are admittedly new to this do not try jump starting it yourself unsupervised from another battery, getting the connections wrong could cause far worse damage than a simple battery failure.

Agree with the others it sounds like a simple flat battery jobbie, as its weekend use only it might not be getting enough charge between starts to keep the battery charged.

Where you park the car all week, is there access to a power point?, if so it might be an idea for you to get a smart battery charger and leave it connected up during the week.

edit...hmm car is 03 and is probably on original battery so ten to one battery kaput, if it were mine i'd buy a good quality battery such as Bosch, Varta etc with a 4 year gurantee, shop around as prices vary.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/12/2012 at 08:46

Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - Collos25

If you are in Germany than I advice you join the ADAC new battery will cost about €100 at ATU cheaper if you shop around.

Its snowed constantly now for three days and nights in my part of Germany should test my car battery.

You could buy a start help unit and keep it in the boot just a thought.

Edited by Collos25 on 10/12/2012 at 08:52

Hi

Thanks for your reply guys, much appreciated!

Unfortunately, its just parked on the street, so no electric outlet. I think I will have to bite the bullet and get someone from the garage to jump start it (as I dont know anyone in the area, we just moved in) with me, and I will drive with them to the garage. Hope this will not cost a lot extra.

Would it be cheaper if I buy the battery my self, or let the garage guys do it?

Also, I have a quick look at the batteries, and not sure which one to get, cross checking with car manual now, but maybe you guys know.

Link to the ATU shop.

http://www.atu.de/online-shop/kategorie/Batterien-w5722/Auto-Batterien_w5723/

Also, what exactly is start help unit and is this cheap?

The garage I plan to take the car is this:

Reifen Helm Filiale

They seem to be a chain, so kind of feel the chances to get ripped off are little bit less then normal, any one has some recommendations for hamburg, germany?

Again, I must say, sorry for my vary basic questions.

Thanks for the tremendous help!

Best, I.J. Gaskell

Seat Leon 1.4l 16v 2003 - Seat Leon engine start failure in cold weather - Big John

It is fairly easy to fit a new battery - however make sure you find the correct replacement for this car as they can come in different capacities, sizes and post positions for different models / makes/

On this car you usually remove a plastic cover, undue a battery retaining clamp bolt (at the base of the battery , slacken/remove the two battery leads (10mm?) and lift the battery out of the car. Before refitting ensure the replacement looks similar with the same post positions (+ & -). Red lead always "+" Black lead "-"

P.S. cream crackered = worn out

Thanks again guys...

Interesting what happened.I asked a mechanic to come out,and we setteled for meeting at the car.And,their diagnose was the engine is dead, a new one is needed. As apparently the engine :14l,16v vw engine has a common problem with the oil pump on freezing temperatures. ,as we had this problem before,it seemed possible,but last year when the oil played up,i could pure oil and drive it to the service.this didnt even start now.

Anyway,to cut a long story short,the battery stil was the problem,but the guys before tied it,and no success.so,a bit strange why the guys didnt notice this,even after i told them originally that the battery is dead.

Anyway,thanks again for the answers,it helped me :-)

Best