VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - Ian91

The golf drives really well apart from take off in drive after a run of @ 10miles, there is a judder between first and second gear, which is really annoying. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the cure. Another problem is If it is the clutch plates, I presume this would not be covered under the 3 year warranty and will be costly.

If anyone has succesfully got the repair done under warranty, can you tell me which VW dealer repaired the car, the golf was bought from new and has done @ 26k and driven only by myself. (based in Manchester)

Edited by Ian91 on 02/12/2012 at 14:12

VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - thunderbird

Clutch plates are normally only covered for manufacturing defects and they would show up before 26,000 miles however you drive.

Best of luck with the dealer.

Clutch plates are normally only covered for manufacturing defects and they would show up before 26,000 miles however you drive.

Best of luck with the dealer.

Would be interested to know if anyone has had the clutch plates replaced under the VW warranty and if so the dealer who carried out the repairs?

Edited by Ian91 on 03/12/2012 at 10:29

VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - daveyjp
Judder on my DSG meant a new mechatronic unit.
VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - Crasher

Sounds like a clutch pack fault.

I have the car booked in for the dealer to diagnose, problem is it does not happen all of the time.

One important thing I did find out was if it is the clutch plates - because it is a DSG drivetrain, the service dept tell me the clutch plates on DSG's are covered under the manufacturers warranty. (If this is the case its probably worth getting the VW extended warranty when this one expires).

VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - mustangman

Ian91

I ran a Golf Tsi 7 sp dsg for the last three and a bit years.

Mine developed an intermitant judder just like yours, although it would also occur on pulling away from rest. The judder was slight or a real tooth shaker, you could never tell.

The clutch pack was replaced under warranty at about 2 years and 34k miles.

In my case at around 3 1/2 years and 55k miles it was starting to show again. I took it back to the same dealer, but they would not fix it until it was more obvious. ( I had the extended warranty ) I fixed it by selling the car, trading it for a dsg Tiguan which of course has wet clutches.

In my view there is a significant flaw with the dry clutch 7 speed. I'm sure dealers know about it. So press your case.

I always had trouble pulling away, even when the car was new. As you opened the throttle it would pull away normally, or the turbo would 'grab hold' & suddenly you would be scrabeling the tyres. IMHO the software is not right or able to modulate the clutch engagement properly.

Wishing you the best.

mustangman

Thanks for info which is very useful - Update on my vw golf mk6 dsg judder,

The car is booked in for replacement clutch pack which is covered by the warranty, but not in stock at the moment!

I will hopefully trade the car in before or if the problem comes back. This is really a shame as I like the golf and was considering the new mk7 golf with dsg but I'm now thinking of something else.

How is the Tiguan dsg (which model did you choose?) as this might be my next option - I did not know this had a wet clutch set up on the dsg model?

Edited by Ian91 on 13/01/2013 at 12:16

VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - mustangman

Hi,

I agree that the car is great apart from the dsg. Even after it was fixed i still had to live with the unpredictable snatches etc., below about 25 mph. When it started to reappear I felt I had to do something. ( The juddering problem perhaps seems to set in once a bit of clutch wear has taken place.

Note: Only the 7 speed dsg as fitted to 1.4 and below VW group cars have dry clutches. The 6 speed fitted to 2.0 and similar are a 'wet clutch' design where the clutches run in oil, and have a greater torque capacity. As far as I am aware, there is no comparable judder problem.

The Tiguan is a different design again. It has 7 speeds, but wet clutches. I went for a 4 motion 2.0 tdi SE. Driving it is much more pleasant than the Golf. Like all dsg's it can jerk if you attempt to pull away smartly when on the overun at low speeds. I'm currently getting around 40 - 43 mpg which is not bad considering additional weight, and 4wd drag compared to the Golf.

VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - johnt71

Hello Ian

I'm very interested in your problem. I have had a 2010 1.4tsi DSG from new which has now covered 27,000 miles and the judder has just started. I'm concerned because my warranty expires in about 6 weeks. I have the car booked in for an inspection in 3 weeks time.

Can you let me know how the VW dealer dealt with you , any tips as to what to say to them and of course what outcome you have had.I'm hoping yours is fixed now.

Thanks John

Hi John, sorry its been a while since you posted message but my wife is in hospital so things have been a bit hectic. My car is booked in under warranty (drive train is covered apparently) to have the clutch plates replaced this coming tuesday 26th will let you know if this cures judder, as I understand it the plates may have glazed over causing the judder.

The VW dealer asked a mechanic to have a drive in the car with me, because the problem was not happening all of the time the car was also left for the day for them to try and they established that the clutch plates was the problem. Parts took @ 1-2 weeks to come.

Pursue the matter diligently with the dealer, if your problem is with clutch plates or mechatronic unit you need to get this done under warranty as it is quite expensive.

Just as a note I have read that in the States & China the VW DSG boxes have been given a longer warranty because of the problems, but at this stage I would still by another VW with DSG box, will post to let you know on the progress. Ian91

Nb having the service done at the same time 29.5k just realised that my service package has to be within the 30k mileage.

Edited by Ian91 on 19/02/2013 at 12:17

Many thanks Ian. Mine is booked in for a check on Mon 25th and it will be interesting to note their comments as like you mention i do not get the judder l of the time either. Good luck with your repair and if you could keep me informed i would appreciate that. Regards

John

Ian

Good luck with your repair. I took mine yesterday and the service advisor said he had not heard of any probs with the DSG. However when the mechanic came out with me he drove the car at a slow speed trying to hold it at 5mph in 2nd and you could feel the hunting of the box causing the judder. He mentioned it was the clutch and he has done a couple of these which always cures the problem No problems with the warranty mine is being changed next week. Good VW service although still miffed at such an early failure.

If you want to compare Golf notes :-) it may be easier via my email

johnctaylor71@gmail.com

All the best

John

John

Twin clutch on car was replaced and rear shocks replaced under warranty, VW service was very good and the judder problem seems to be cured. As the car has only done 29k in 29 months from new, I may have to trade in just in case the problem re appears in the next 29k, must be some problem with the quality of the original clutch plates! the rear shock absorbers could just be the state of the roads.

The mk 7 golf GT DSG looks pretty good and if I decide next year to trade up I would invest in the extended warranty to cover 5 years, just in case this problem still crops up!

Post to let us know if your judder prob is resloved

bw

Ian

VW Scirocco 1.4 tsi 160dsg 2011 judder between 5mph and 10 mph - alanwoodie
Ten days ago I purchased a VW Scirocco 1.4 tsi 160 from a franchised dealer. On both test drives I did not notice any judder on gear changes.
In the last few days, when moving away slowly and then accelerating,I have noticed a judder, like running over a cattle grid!
It only lasts for approx. a second or two, but it is quite disconcerting.
The car has 25000 miles on the clock, with another years warranty.
What should I expect the dealer to do?
I have read about new clutch packs, and DSG mechatronic units etc, but not being mechanically minded am not sure what to expect.
Any advice would be appreciated.
VW Scirocco 1.4 tsi 160dsg 2011 judder between 5mph and 10 mph - Ian91
Ten days ago I purchased a VW Scirocco 1.4 tsi 160 from a franchised dealer. On both test drives I did not notice any judder on gear changes. In the last few days, when moving away slowly and then accelerating,I have noticed a judder, like running over a cattle grid! It only lasts for approx. a second or two, but it is quite disconcerting. The car has 25000 miles on the clock, with another years warranty. What should I expect the dealer to do? I have read about new clutch packs, and DSG mechatronic units etc, but not being mechanically minded am not sure what to expect. Any advice would be appreciated.

alanwoodie

Ask the dealer to take a test drive with you or leave it with them for a day, if it is the clutch pack this is covered by the manufacturers warranty under the drive train as the dsg/clutch operates automatically.

ian91

VW Scirocco 1.4 tsi 160dsg 2011 judder between 5mph and 10 mph - alanwoodie
Thanks ian91

New clutch pack fitted and all seems to be ok.
VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - Thesaintsvolvo
Hi my car is at Vw today it's a golf 1.4dsg 2011 with 12 k on the clock
Took it in for slight judder needs new fly wheel and clutch plates
They said its a known fault and doing it under warranty
How long till it goes again I bought it two weeks ago paid 13k
Will be selling it next week can't live with that time bomb !
VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - marty342

The new Golf 2.0tdi D.S.G. box has a wet clutch now if you check their info.

The 1.6 tdi D.S.G. 7 speed still has the dry clutch with all the problems !!!

VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - Thesaintsvolvo
My golf dsg 2011 covered 12 k miles doing the same thing
VW Bolton say it's a known issue and are doing it under warranty today needs clutch plate kit and fly wheels only had the car two weeks full of problems going to get rid of it in the next two weeks will loose 3k
But can't live with the fact in a year I will have put 15k on the clock and it will need doing again its the worst car I have ever had I am going back to Hyundai
VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - Ianc66

Hi guys,

I would appreciate your advice.

I own a 61 reg VW Golf cabriolet1.4 tsi with the dsg box. The car has covered 20800 careful miles.

I noticed the juddering and booked in it at my local VW dealer. I too took a mechanic out for a drive.

They kept the car overnight and I got a call this afternoon to say that the clutch had gone due to wear and tear and to being left in Drive on a hill instead of Park or Neutral. As such they wouldn't replace it under warranty.

If I wanted it replaced it would cost about £1,300 pounds. They gave me a number for VW customer care and told me to ring them to plead my case.

I went up to the garage. It turns out that they haven't stripped the gearbox but the diagnostics say that it's a worn clutch.

I had a meeting with the service manager. I mentioned this forum but they said that they weren't aware of an issue such as this. They said they won't replace it as VW might say no and won't pay them for the work.

What they're going to do now is to strip the gearbox. They will pay the labour to strip it and I will have to pay the labour to replace it. They said if it's a faulty gearbox then VW should pay for it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

VW Golf Mk6 2010 1.4tsi dsg 26k - DSG Judder on 1st/2nd gear in drive - Delboy3333

You are experiencing the typical dsg shudder which affects ALL vw golf 6s with a 1.4 tsi or 1.2tsi engine coupled with a dry clutch dsg gearbox. It first rears its head at around 25-30k (though I have heard of issues around 13k) and is usually fixed by a new clutch pack or/and mechatronic unit.

ALL these cars either had a free replacement gearbox OR free extended warranty in the US, Asia and Australia but of course not in the UK where both VW and their franchised dealers continue to pretend (going on 5 years now) that no manufacturer's defect exists.

In your particular case you should argue you case regarding this being a well documented issue and insist on vw at least contributing to part of the repair bill which can be astronomical outside of warranty.

In my case I owned a 2010 golf 1.4 gt tsi with around 50k on the clock when I began to experience the dreaded shudder. I called up my vw garage who pretended never to have heard of the symptom but said I should bring in for a diagnostic check lol. I fixed it myself as a previous poster said - buy selling the car almost immediately.

I paid cash for it, owned for six months and got ALL my money back so that was a result but felt I needed to warn others. The problem occurs every 25-30k miles and gets worse as the car warms up hence being difficult to replicate at times until it inevitably gets really bad and packs in.

I for one will never by a VAG dsg ever again, they are very poor quality for extortionate money.

Edited by Delboy3333 on 08/05/2014 at 00:11