Any recommendations? - Stuartpaul
About to change car after a number of years with a Xantia (yes I know!!) and really do need to go for something that\'s ultra reliable as opposed to looks etc.

Its not going to do huge mileage (9K ish year)and most of that will be school run/local stuff. Needs to be capable of taking 4 adults (sometimes 5), hatchback necessary due to dogs.

With a budget of about £8,000 plus trade in (that makes it £8,001!!)I\'m thinking along the lines of Toyoya Avensis, Mazda 626 etc.

As I\'m really out of touch with the world of cars I wondered if anyone could recommend anything.

Thanks

Stuart
Ay recommendations? - terryb
Stuart
Is image an issue? If not why not stick with Citroen and get a new Berlingo? Room for 4/5 adults, bags of doggie room and the sliding back doors make access a breeze. And all those little hidey-holes for bits and pieces. SWMBO has had no reliability problems with her 1.9D yet and I must admit it's actually quite fun to drive.

Terry
Ay recommendations? - bazza
Quite like the Berlingo too, but I'd go for a newish Primera, will do all you're asking, ultra reliable, shouldn't need to spend £8K, then you can have a nice holiday in the Caribbean too!
Baz
Ay recommendations? - No Do$h
Berlingo? New Primera?

When SP said style wasn't an issue, you really took him at face value, didn't you!

There are some bargains to be had on the Avensis s/h. Not a dynamically exciting car, but very competent and horribly reliable. The estates are huge.

Might want to consider the Mitsubishi Galant as well for the same reasons.

No Dosh - but then who has?
Any recommendations? - Citroënian {P}
The natural progression from the Xantia is the C5- have they come down in price sufficiently to fit into your budget. The Xantia ride is difficult to beat, the C5 will keep you in the same area.

As for the Toyotas, every last taxi around here is a Toyota Carina E or Avensis and they seem to be pretty bomb-proof. Can't imagine you'd go too far wrong with one.

Finally, have you trawled through the car-by-car breakdown on this site. Some good advice on what to look for.

Happy hunting,
Lee.