Citroen Saxo 1.1i 1996 (R-Reg) - Saxo cutting out on ignition - TinkerBelle91

Hiya, I'm all new to this so please bear with me if it this is slightly long winded and doesn't make sense.

I've just purchased a 1996 1.1i Citroen Saxo which has not been driven in about 6 months. Its due its MOT next month, which is fine as I've already been over everything they're likely to look at for its MOT.

However upon starting it up when I picked it up yesterday, it ticks over and then starts, and then cuts out almost instantly and then restarts if I turn the key again; I thought maybe that it may be something simple like spark plugs, but when I started it this morning and started driving, when I put my foot on the clutch, it cut out (all the lights on the dashboard light up) and when bringing the clutch up and pushing the accelerator down, it seemed to come back to life, which confused me a little.

Once its going, it drives absolutely perfectly, not a problem, I'm just not totally sure what could be causing the problem.

As I said, only picked the car up yesterday evening (had already had a look at the car and started it up, and it took a moment to start but it had been sat unused for months so put it down to that...

Any ideas? And if you do have any, if you could simplify it for me? My dad usually deals with all this for me but I hardly see him due to his busy work schedule these days so wont get a chance to talk to him about it for a while

Thanks in advance! :)

Citroen Saxo 1.1i 1996 (R-Reg) - Saxo cutting out on ignition - madf

There is a known immobiliser fault with these. Replacing the immobiliser coil in the steering column fixes it.

Citroen Saxo 1.1i 1996 (R-Reg) - Saxo cutting out on ignition - DaddyCool

Hi, my wife has a W reg with 92000 miles, I have some experiance.. ;-) If I understand you right, it sound like the car starts up and drives, but when you stop, the engine stops. Sounds like the idle/tick over is not working . If you were to drive and then while still at speed, push the clutch in and pop gear into neutral and coast, does engine stop?

If it does, it probably starts to stop/stall as you change gear, but as you change gear within seconds, it’s not obvious the car IS stalling

Let me know