BMW 520d SE & Volvo V70 R Design - Auction Prices vs The Real World - Happy Driver

I am puzzled, very puzzled!

In the past (2 years ago) I bought my wife a Toyota Corolla from BCA Brighouse and saved approxiamtely £1,500 (after all costs), that despite there being a long bidding battle between myself and someone else (i.e. not the wall).

Earlier this year, I attended BCA Derby auction at one of their VWFS auctions, and after noting down prices, waiting a week or 2, sure enough, the same cars appeared on autotrader with a health profit . Sometime it was clear who was bidding - company names emblazened on the fleece gave them away.

Now looking at the prices of the Volvo V70 R-design and BMW 520d SE Business Edition (2009/09 or 2009/59 with less than circa 60,000 miles) on say autotrader and deducting an appropriate amount for the profit, I called a few BCA sites in respect of cars that had caught my eye, asking for a Guide Price. This, I was expecting to be lower than the autotrader prices, but no, it was often higher.

Forgive me for asking, but then what is the guide price? The price the car would be expected to be sold at?

If so, then one would have thought that the reserve would have been 'near' to this price.

If all this is actually the case, the auctions are clearly not the place to buy, but it also questions, how motor traders are making profits to live?

Have I missed something out?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Many Thanks

Happy Driver

BMW 520d SE & Volvo V70 R Design - Auction Prices vs The Real World - veryoldbear

I think this is one of life's mysteries, and it applies to anything bought or sold at auction cars, antiques, houses. It all depends who is there on the day. Sometimes bargains are to be had, sometimes the "guide price", sometimes it all goes bananas.