Audi A3 - Water pump impeller (?) blades broke off..... - TriciaA

For the past 12 months or so the heating system in my daughter's Audi (2002) has not been working, basically only cold air blowing out. She recently decided to have this fixed. On removing the thermostat, it was found that it needed replacing, a new one was put in, however the car then began to overheat. The water pump was then checked and it was found that some of the blades were broken off. We put the thermostat in hot water to see if it would open, it didn't (could be a faulty one?) My daughter is, for the time being running the car without the thermostat.

I have read that there could be parts of the blades somewhere in the car, i.e. hoses ? If so how can these be removed, also where else could these bits be. Is it possible that this can clear itself and if not, what would be the next thing to do. We also have to think of the financial side of it.

I'd be grateful for any feed back. Thanks :)

Audi A3 - Water pump impeller (?) blades broke off..... - Peter D

The engine can be flushed out in the reverse direction of the normal water flow. This may not remove all the bits but it is all you can do. You need to supply an engine code form the ID label in the spare wheel bay or in the service book. Regards Peter

Ah, ok Peter, thanks for that information. Tricia

Audi A3 - Water pump impeller (?) blades broke off..... - Peter D

But what is the engine code ( 3 letters )

Regards Peter

Sorry, I have not been able to get that info due to my daughter being out with the car. Regards Tricia

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, lots going on, plus a new car! Her Audi it seems just needs another thermostat, the one we purchased won't open, could well be faulty. She has been driving it without one for the past 2/3 weeks, no heating of course, and it's like an ice-box during this cold weather.

Once the heating is fixed she will sell it, in the meantime she has purchased another audi, I've started a new post about it!

Regards

Tricia

Audi A3 - Water pump impeller (?) blades broke off..... - Crasher

Running the car without a thermostat can cause severe over cooling which makes the engines computer over fuel the engine and this may permanently damage the catalyst and lambda sensor(s).