Chevrolet Matiz 2008 SE - Abnormal noise / Vibration from front axle of car? - Fitzy1980

I drive a Chevrolet Matiz 2008 Model and recently (September) had an MOT and service. On driving the car after the MOT/Service I noticed a sort of warbling/vibrating sound from the front axle. I reasoned that the Geo-alignment they carried out may have caused this and ignored it to begin with but ever since it has just been getting worse. Its really loud now and I am worried it may cause a blow out or something like that so I contacted the garage where the mot/service was done (something I should have done as soon as I noticed the noise I admit) and I have it booked in for next week as they are busy. Thing is I can see them denying it has anything to do with the mot/service as I have left it so long and I noticed that on the full service schedule, under 'Prepare vehicle for hand back' they have put a tick next to 'listen for abnormal noise or vibration'! I reckon I'm going to have trouble getting them to correct whatever it is but I just wanted to ask, given the above does anyone out there have an idea what it might be and more importantly if it is something likely to cause an accident? And is there any cosmetic checks I could carry out myself to check for any danger. I have to use my car for work and I am scared I will have a blow out on the way to work... Just to recap the service was carried out on 13/09 and the geo alignment is written down as 'Geo-align (tyre wear + off> et wheel)'. They have recommended changing both front tyres due to worn inner + edges and I have the car booked in with the manufacturers for new tyres also next week.

Thanks for reading

Chevrolet Matiz 2008 SE - Abnormal noise / Vibration from front axle of car? - Peter.N.

Is the car vibrating as in wheels out of balance, does it do it at all or only some speeds? I wouldn't have thought that they could have done anything to cause it by aligning the wheels, assuming they haven't got it a mile out. If you can feel the vibration in the car I would suggest a wheel balance problem, on second thoughts its possible that they could have knocked a weight off while aligning it or it could be that there is a fault on one of the tyres, look for bulges in the tread.

Worn inner tyre edges indicates that the wheels are towing out excessively, presumably they put that right. The only other thing I can think of that can cause a noise is a defective wheel bearing but that would generally only cause a whine that will vary with speed.

If it is a balance problem its hardly likely to cause a blow out, just makes it unpleasant to drive.

Chevrolet Matiz 2008 SE - Abnormal noise / Vibration from front axle of car? - madf

The tyre wear suggests the front wheel alignment is badly out and urgently needs sorting BEFORE new tyres are fitted.. (ATS will check free).

"Geo -align" means nothing to me.

As for the noise? Well it could be a faulty wheel bearing, a misaligned brake shield hitting the disk, a faulty suspension joint or anything..

I note you are going back to teh same garage. Are they competent? Do you have a choice? They sound a bit cowboyish to me.

Chevrolet Matiz 2008 SE - Abnormal noise / Vibration from front axle of car? - Fitzy1980

Garage have booked me in but not until next week, its with kwik fit. On the invoice they have put 'check and front adjust' so I'm guessing that means they have aligned the wheels. On the schedule they have ticked the box for the road test that checks for 'any abnormal noise or vibration' but I noticed it straight away.

They have added an advisory note of slight play in near side rear wheel bearing.

The noise itself sounds like 'wubba wubba wubba wubba' its a very deep noise that becomes noticeable at 20-30mph and gets at its loudest at 40mph, when it sounds like a bus. I can't hear it on the outside when I wind down the window, its only on the inside you hear it.

Thankyou for your advice.

Edited by Fitzy1980 on 14/11/2012 at 13:15

Chevrolet Matiz 2008 SE - Abnormal noise / Vibration from front axle of car? - madf

Souns like a wheel bearing/driveshaft or losse wheel.