supermarket car washes - HF
I don;t know if this is commonplace everywhere, but EVERY time I visit a supermarket these days I am deluged by people asking me if I want my car cleaned.

I understand that's their job, etc - but it DOES make me feel a little uncomfortable at times, especially when I see them noting my entry into carpark and I KNOW I am going to be approached! And saying 'no, sorry', does not seem to go down too well.

Why has this practise suddenly started up over the last year or so? And is there anything I should say to these guys without causing insult, but which means I do not want to pay them for a quick wipeover. (I said to one of them recently, I'm sorry but I'm only gonna be a couple of minutes - and his answer was that he could get my car all shiny and clean in that 2 minutes! Which begs an answer! Either they're not doing the job properly, or we should all go into car-cleaning - because at the rate of a fiver or more for 2 minutes I reckon we could all be on a par with the lawyers ;)
HF
supermarket car washes - Tom Shaw
HF,

After a polite but firm refusal in the first instance, one is at liberty to invoke some Anglo Saxon in the face of persistant pestering, which then becomes harrassment.
supermarket car washes - Fullchat
Are these people washing cars with the blessing of the Supermarket?
If you feel intimidated or just do not want the confrontation why not write to the Supermarket manager or even Head Office explaining how you feel and that you will be shopping elsewhere until the matter is resolved. Perhaps a letter in your local press would stir up enough similar support which would cause the Supermarket to take note and take action.
supermarket car washes - volvoman
FC - The stores know all about it and I'd be very surprised if they aren't getting a healthy cut of the proceeds if not employing the washers themselves - the likes of the 'big 4' aren't noted for their generosity are they !

HF - don't know if you've ever cleaned a car by hand (sorry, couldn't resist ;-) ) but I wouldn't do it on an icy cold day for the money those guys get paid.
Tom and FC,

I don't exactly feel harassed or intimidated (well maybe just a little), and I realise these guys are just trying to make some money, so it would be unfair of me to take the matter any further.

I just hate skulking through the carparks trying to avoid these guys and knowing they're going to catch me anyway. I dislike being approached by anyone trying to sell me unsolicited goods/services, in any situation, and the reaction they always give when turned down. If I wanted them to wash my car, I'd ask them to do it.

There's nowhere else to shop, btw (Ive tried!), all the supermarkets seem to have them nowadays.
HF
supermarket car washes - Dynamic Dave
HF,

Sounds like you need to get your own back. Here's and example for you:-

www.hoc.org.uk/gallery/download/Wash.mpg

(its a 724kb download, btw)
supermarket car washes - RichL
HF,
Sounds like you need to get your own back. Here's and
example for you:-
www.hoc.org.uk/gallery/download/Wash.mpg
(its a 724kb download, btw)

Good one :-D
Haha Dynamic, that's great - must remember to take my dirty washing up water with me next time :)
HF
supermarket car washes - teabelly
Keep your car spotless then they will have no reason to bother you ;-)
teabelly
supermarket car washes - marcusroberts
Just ask them if they are insured for damage to your car...! I've seen them damage the surface paintwork on one vehicle from a dirty chamois.
Marcus, none of them seem to speak English, so I don't think they'd know what I was talking about!
HF
Teabelly - you are right, of course, although they still approach even when cars are clean.

V - I will treat your remark with the contempt it deserves, and decline to answer - except to say, it's FAR too cold to be out there cleaning my car at the moment ;)
supermarket car washes - Blue {P}
Well, I'm proud to say that after getting up at lunchtime yesterday, I finally got around to cleaning mine, inside and out. :) When I got in this morning though I noticed that there's still a dirty patch in the middle of one of the doors :(

Wouldn't pay someone to do it though...

Blue
Blue - good for you :) I'm gonna have to do the same soon or I'm in for some serious nagging ;(

DavidHM - seems you must have struck lucky - 40 mins as opposed to 2 sounds much better value for money :) (although I'm never in any supermarket long enough to have a 40-minute clean - 10 mins maximum is my average). I've never seen any evidence of waxing, or hoses though, btw.
HF
HF - are you implying that you will wash the car when it gets warmer ?

IIRC the grime (and a few
strategically placed sandwich bag ties) were the only things holding your old R5 together ! ;-)
IIRC the grime (and a few
strategically placed sandwich bag ties) were the only things holding
your old R5 together ! ;-)

Actually V it was a bit of old rubbery stuff and some superglue that used to hold the bumper in place - very effective, too, till the day I finally retired the car to my garage, scraping it in the process against garage door, causing bumper to fall off.

And the sellotape that held the broken number plate in one piece did a very good job, too, for many months.
;)
HF - now you know what I'm gonna say 'cos I've been asking you for months ! When are you (or God forbid, no.1 son) gonna clean your car ??

Are these people simply trying to tell you something ? ;-)
supermarket car washes - DavidHM
My local Asda has a load of Africans who do an excellent job, taking about 40 minutes over it, waxing it, cleaning the wheels and the bumpers and generally leaving my stroppy teenage car looking like new... all for less than a fiver. I have no idea how they make money, given that this is London, but I don't care and I'll keep going to them as I live in a flat and don't have a hosepipe to do it myself, adn they're cheaper than the automatic ones in petrol stations anyway.
supermarket car washes - peterb
Tend to agree, David. I get mine done at my local Sainsbury's.

They do a pretty reasonable job at low cost (£5) and it saves me 1/2 hour doing it myself.

BTW all those I've spoken to speak perfectly good English....

Value my car