Glad I got a - full size spare - justadriver

Glad I got a full size spare after a blowout on the motorway on sunday evening. The tyre sidewall was shredded, so making it useless, and at 5pm on a busy sunday evening at the beginning of the m40 i was glad i had a spare. otherwise would have been a 200 mile recovery and my lovely breakdown company charges extra in case of punctures..

Glad I got a - full size spare - Avant

Good point. A full-size spare is much the best option, even if it's on a steel wheel. A space-saver is better than nothing, but manufacturers do need to grow up and realise that what happened to you is not all that rare.

HJ does his best to promote common sense, but the rest of the motoring press should listen to ordinary motorists and make much more noise about the inadequacy of cans of gunk - and the needlessness of the electronic handbrake as well while they're about it.

Glad I got a - full size spare - Armitage Shanks {p}

I bought a small Ford 3 years ago. It came with a full size wheel-well but filled with a vast lump of polystyrene, and an electric pump plus a canister of goo. At my age and with there being so many chances that the tyre will be damaged beyong the ability of the pump/goo to get me going again, I went straight out and bought a full size steel spare and a jack. I have never used them but I would not buy a car without a full size or space-saver spare, at the very least.

Glad I got a - full size spare - veryoldbear

We go over to France a lot, and I consider a full-size spare essential. Whatthehell do you do if you get a flat when abroad?

Glad I got a - full size spare - Armitage Shanks {p}

Same as you do in UK surely? Call out the breakdown service, get the puncture fixed or buy a new tyre (ouch!)

Glad I got a - full size spare - madf

e rest of the motoring press should listen to ordinary motorists and make much more noise about the inadequacy of cans of gunk - and the needlessness of the electronic handbrake as well while they're about it.

When the muttering journalists concentrate on important things like 0-60mph times and top speed, the fact that in the real world cars have to be reveresed into car parking bays is ignored.

And as you rightly point out, punctures happen.

And car tyres have to be replaced.. often at horrendous cost..

I would compare most motoring journalists with politicians and estate agents: and they would lose to both :-)

Apolgies for OT.

Glad I got a - full size spare - RickyBoy

Agreed, agreed, agreed...

I perceive any manaufacturer who won't include one to be short-sighted and mean-spirited and unless they'll throw one in gratis won't consider a deal with them.

Don't give me all that 'weight-saving guff' either. A full-sized spare is of paramount importance to me and, in my blinkered view, should be a legislative requirement!

You can keep your cup-holders, map-reading lights, fancy-dan, namby-pamby, arty-f@rty this and that innovations – just make sure you give me a 'proper' spare.

I still have the original '5th alloy' for my vRS in the hatch. It's in absolutely mint condition (been used to drive no more than 10-miles in 9-years) but on the two occasions that I did need it to get me to a tyre depot for nail extractions...

...peace of mind is everything to me.

Amen.

Glad I got a - full size spare - mike hannon

>>Whatthehell do you do if you get a flat when abroad?<<

Abroad is just like home in many ways. You put on your spare wheel or spacesaver, if you are lucky enough to have either, then go to a tyre dealer, which can be found in many towns, some of them quite small, and get your tyre repaired or replaced.

If all you have is a can of goo, then 'bon chance'.

Incidentally, I had a front tyre blow out on a rough country road in France a couple of weeks ago - first time that had happened in decades. We were about 60 miles from home but the spacesaver (at the recommended maximum of 80kph) got us home and to the tyre shop next day with no ill effects that I noticed.

Edited by mike hannon on 16/10/2012 at 12:17

Glad I got a - full size spare - veryoldbear

The problem is finding the same brand / size tyre that is on the rest of the car. If you have to go for another brand French dealers will insist on selling you two so you have the same tyre on both ends of the axle. This hurts even more.

Glad I got a - full size spare - unthrottled

Don't give me all that 'weight-saving guff' either.

It's probably the £50 rather than the 50lb that they're keen to save. In either case, you don't get many easier cost or weight savings.

One very good compromise is the full diameter but reduced width spacesaver. These are actually perfectly stable at 80+mph. But that'll be no surprise to anyone who isn't a chav who believe that the grip of a tyre is proportional to its width.

Glad I got a - full size spare - Falkirk Bairn

Traded in the manual X-trail (with spare alloy & tyre) for an Auto CRV. The CRV has a space saver but I thought I'd enquire about an alloy + tyre........the chap on the phone said £500 roughly, then sank me when he said + VAT. I said he need not get the exact price as the ball park figure said it all.

The spacesaver will have to do.............not great but a lot better than the RAV4 my DiL has. She wasleft on the hard shoulder when the tyre shredded and had to be transported home. E-tyres called and it was repaired with 4/5 hours.........but not the best solution which is a spare alloy in the boot.

Glad I got a - full size spare - Smileyman

I had a puncture a few weeks ago, not a pleasant sight at 07.30 am as I set out for work.

I think I'm slowing down in my old age, it took nearly 30 minutes for me to put the spare on ... and the first question the tyre fitter asked me ... "has it (the punctured tyre) been driven on?" - as I had not driven on the tyre it could be repaired, but otherwise he would have refused to effect the repair.

Of course the issue of having a suitable spare is relevant, as soon I will have winter tyres on the car yet the spare will be a summer tyre.

Glad I got a - full size spare - 1litregolfeater

Perhaps you permitted your tyre pressure to get a little low. I have nothing more to say.

Glad I got a - full size spare - justadriver

Perhaps you permitted your tyre pressure to get a little low. I have nothing more to say.

And, May I ask , What makes you think this was the case? Personally I take the car to my local tyre fitters regularly, and also every time before doing a journey away from home. Oil level checked, as is washer fluid topped up, and screen and mirrors cleaned. (i did not state that there was a nail in the tyre, and also some shards of glass.) but maybe you just assumed that everyone else driving is not as "bright as yourself".

I am one of those people who look after my "investment".

Punctures happen, but my point wasn't about why, it was about the lunacy of having no means of getting home if a tyre is irreparable..

And what about our lovely roadside assistance companies who now want to charge £40 to change a punctured tyre.

And what about our lovely roadside assistance companies who now want to charge £40 to change a punctured tyre.

Fair play to them. Any able bodied person should have no difficulty changing a wheel themselves. Quite a few physically impaired people could manage the 'feat'.

Glad I got a - full size spare - andyp

Fair play to them. Any able bodied person should have no difficulty changing a wheel themselves. Quite a few physically impaired people could manage the 'feat'.

I would never change an offside wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway or beside a busy dual carriage way myself.

I would never change an offside wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway or beside a busy dual carriage way myself.

But you would expect a lesser mortal to imperil himself on your behalf?

Nice attitude.

Glad I got a - full size spare - RT

Nice attitude.

That "lesser mortal" has a damn great van with orange flashing lights he can put between himself and the traffic to give some protection - or he can tow the stricken vehicle at slow speed to a safer place.

Indeed, he can also request Highways Agency to close a motorway lane off for safety.

Truckers expect the breakdown company to deal with motorway blow-outs, why not car drivers ?

Truckers expect the breakdown company to deal with motorway blow-outs, why not car drivers ?

Because changing a truck wheel on your own is hard-changing a car wheel is not. What a pathetic country we have become when it is not considered shameful to call out "a nice man" to do a simple task that we could do easily do ourselves. . As far as risk goes, you're more at risk sitting like an impotent lemon on the hard shoulder for an hour waiting for the orange van, than you would be on your hands and knees for perhaps 5 minutes if you're not very quick at changing wheels.
Glad I got a - full size spare - Mike H

Nice attitude.

A little unfair, unthrottled. The "lesser mortal" will have a large van, which he will position in ordrer to protect himself as far as possible from the traffic. Such protection is denied to the person who has had the puncture.

Glad I got a - full size spare - gordonbennet

I'm with Unthrottled here, can't believe that grown able bodied men wouldn't just get on and change their own wheel.

Common sense as with all things, i've seen people pull up in cars on full width hard shoulders so close to the nearside lane that their door mirror is still over the white line, and then proceed to get out of the offside door with lorries bearing down, people like that should catch the bus instead and do us all a favour.

If you've got a flat offside its not surely beyond the wit of someone to pull onto the nearside verge if possible.

As for that safe large van, they often enough work the other way, a dozing lorry driver might not be seen approaching because of said van....one tyre chap that came out to fit a new tyre when i had a NSR blowout on my lorry had cheated death not long previously, he'd just finished fitting a new tyre to another lorry's wheel between his van and the broken down lorry when he stepped back and a lorry smashed into his van ramming the hulk into back of the breadown, he dived over the armco and lived to tell....these breakdown chaps earn every penny.

Notice how at least one womble watches the approaching traffic when they are attending breadown, thats for good reason.

Lorries are whole different ball game, these days a typical lorry, mine for example, has 4 completely different tyre sizes so carrying spares is no longer normal....at one time we used to carry spare wheels and i have changed many a wheel in years gone by, the precious new breed couldn't manage this in most cases.

Glad I got a - full size spare - csgmart

I'm with Unthrottled here, can't believe that grown able bodied men wouldn't just get on and change their own wheel.

My business partner recently attempted to change a flat tyre (at home on his drive). Managed to undo all the wheel bolts - blessed thing wouldn't come off the hub - has rusted/welded itself on tight. Even hitting with soft faced mallets didn't shift the thing - had to call the breakdown service to get the job done. So, on occassions it IS necessary to call for assistance.

Glad I got a - full size spare - Smileyman

I have now added a rain cape to my emergency kit in the car, so to stay dry next time I have a puncture and need to change a tyre roadside (the refelctive jacket will fit over it)

Glad I got a - full size spare - xam

This is getting a bit MCP-ish

What if the puncture is experienced by the elderly/not so fit/not so strong, female driver?

Just because its easy for you Technical competent hairy chested drivers - please remember other peoples Grannies, Wives and Daughters may be not so technically competent, or (dare I say it) hairy chested enough, to be able to change a wheel,

In Germany, when punctured on a busy road, we ring the police and get them to send a car and park behind us with lights flashing, then change the wheel in relative safety

This is getting a bit MCP-ish

What if the puncture is experienced by the elderly/not so fit/not so strong, female driver?

Women serve in the army nowadays. The notion of women as frail damsels in distress is outdated and offensive.

Just because its easy for you Technical competent hairy chested drivers

If jacking up a car and undoing 4/5 studs is too 'technical' for a person then that person should not drive. An operator of a vehicle is expected to understand that they must check oil, coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid levels, not drive on bald or incorrectly inflated tyres, and not allow the engine to overheat.

Ignorance or innocent fluttering eyelashes are no excuse.

Clearly no one would expect an elderly person to change a wheel themselves.

nb. I did offer to help a neighbour in his eighties to change a wheel. I interpreted he dark glower to mean that my assistance was not required!

Edited by unthrottled on 28/10/2012 at 18:22

Glad I got a - full size spare - galileo

An operator of a vehicle is expected to understand that they must check oil, coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid levels, not drive on bald or incorrectly inflated tyres, and not allow the engine to overheat.

Unthottled, you are, as usual, correct in principle. However, in reality the roads are full of people who have little or no idea how cars work and no grasp of basic engineering.

E.g. How many do you see cheerfully winding stationary cars from lock to lock, assuming this is what power steering is for?

There are those who are not aware that rising revs with constant speed is usually a symptom of clutch slip.

There are those who carry out manoeuvres at 2 mph in first gear while maintaining 3000 or 4000 rpm, as I saw a woman doing only yesterday, slipping the clutch all the while.

And I know two cases of people changing wheels and replacing nuts the wrong way round!

Glad I got a - full size spare - Mike H

Your comments about women as frail damsels, and the "ignorance or innocent fluttering eyelashes", are at odds with the rest of your post.. So do you want to stop women driving if they can't change a wheel? That doesn't mean the car hasn't been functionally checked on a regular basis. But you're happy for the elderly to be assisted?

I know you delight in being controversal, but you really need to get a grip on life. You might be young and physically able but there's no reason to deprive people of their mobility just because they don't meet your standards.

Edited by Mike H on 28/10/2012 at 21:18

So do you want to stop women driving if they can't change a wheel? That doesn't mean the car hasn't been functionally checked on a regular basis.

Most women can change a wheel-it is just hairy chested men telling them that they can't do it because it massages their feeling of virility. In WW2, women (including own own Sovereign) managed to operate vehicles without power steering or synchronised gearboxes without men holding their dainty hands.

No one would begrudge sending out an RAC truck to help an elderly driver change a wheel. It is the scenario of able-bodied men and women that refuse to help themselves that leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Infantising people is a cruel trick. Fear breeds fear. Simply having the confidence to change a wheel or knowing that you can bump a broken-down car off the road using the starter motor instils a confidence that makes life much less scary even if you never have to do it.

Edited by unthrottled on 28/10/2012 at 21:52

Glad I got a - full size spare - jamie745

I wouldn't change the wheel myself at the side of a motorway at night because simple hazard lights simply aren't enough. Why should I end up under someone elses car when I could call a dayglow womble with a van lit up like the coca-cola truck?

Also if I'm in my best suit I'm not kneeling down on no road.

Glad I got a - full size spare - Bromptonaut

If you've got a full size spare you can sort it yourself.

If you're too frail to do it or lack the technical ability the breakdown service will sort for you. Even as a testosterone fuelled male I lacked the muscle at age 23 to shift a mechanically tightened wheel.

But at once the breakdown guy arrived we were on our way.

With a can of goo we'd have been stuffed until the (slightly unusual) tyre size was available.

Glad I got a - full size spare - Bromptonaut

Addendum to last night's post.

On Friday there was BMW 1 series on an axle stand and minus it o/s rear wheel in a field gateway near home.

Suspect driver only had useless goo and wheel had been taken into town for replacement tyre to be fitted.

A lot of faff for all concerned.

Glad I got a - full size spare - oldroverboy.

Lo and behold in the press this week.. CARS NOT FITTED WITH SPARES CAUSING PROBLEMS for beakdown organisations. Well i am glad i got one, and there is nothing to stop anyone getting one as the taxation class of the car will not change if you add a spar as an option and even 61 year old me can (slowly) change a spare,Better than being stuck.