Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Glenn 42

I know there have been issues over recalls, which have mostly affected American models, and this has put some people off, but are Toyotas still worth buying as magazines like Which still rate their reliability and resale value and a 5 year warranty is a big plus point. I'm not in the market to change my car for two years, but models like the new Yaris look the part and are supposed to be very good on petrol.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - NARU

Well I've had a landcruiser for just coming up to 5 years.

All I've had to pay for (other than servicing) is a set of tyres. And even the services haven't been bad.

So from me ... a huge yes.

I know one guy who isn't impressed with his Aygo, but it's more to do with the car being smaller and slower than he expected than being unreliable. I still quite like the Auris as its brushed aluminium dash gives it a quality feel and JD Power gave it a very good report this year, also it's British.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - bonzo dog

yes

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - unthrottled

Yes. It's a sad state of affairs when a company gets lambasted for issueing a wide-ranging and expensive recall. Everyone makes mistakes, but Toyota are standing by their product, rather than denying the existence of a problem.

And I don't even like Toyotas!

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - SteveLee

Toyota recalls its cars, most other manufacturers cover problems up.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - gordonbennet

I like Toyota, i like how they stand by their product, i like how they treat their customers and they stand head and shoulders above others.

You only have to read the regular threads here to see that certain German makers (and one or two others incl one Japanese maker) appear to treat their customers with contempt, and more fool those customers for returning, they'll never see a penny of my money.

Toyota gained more of my respect due to the recall situation, they admitted their problems and did their best to sort them out...a far cry from the attitude usually found from other makers, secrecy, denial and failure to accept responsibility the moment warranty expires.

All Toyotas i have owned have been bomb proof.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Engineer Andy

I think Toyota have seen a dip in the quality of the engineering over the past decade, probably (like many makes) trying to make better margins (when car prices were falling from their highs in the mid-late 90s) through use of lower-grade parts and tie-ups with other manufacturers (e.g. for Toyota - the Aygo, with PSA Purgeot/Citroen), which as we often read does not always work out well for all concerned.

Even with that, most of the Japanese makes are still at the "top of the tree" as regards reliability. Let's hope they learn their lessen regarding the above and go back to the tried and tested ways - I think also manufacturers' obsession with having so many variants of models and endless (electrical) optional extras does not lend itself to increased reliability (less standarisation and greater complexity - requiring extensive and expensive testing to ensure reliability [this may not be done as rigourously as a result to save on costs]).

Many 1980s & 90s Japanese cars (far more than other makes, with the exception of Mercedes [back when quality meant something to them IMHO]), and especially Toyotas, can often still be seen on the roads in good condition (there's an early 80s Starlet still going strong where I live). Sometimes I regret not buying a mid 90s Starlet instead of a Micra (still good, but not as long-lasting) as my first car - some I've seen of that age still look almost new!

A shame their current crop don't really appeal to me in terms of styling/driving experience - if I could afford to buy/run one, and if they also were better looking/to drive, I would buy a sister Lexus car, given their even better reputation for reliability and customer service - if only their "compact" car (CT 200h) wasn't so poor (IS too big for me) and ugly.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Auristocrat

A resounding YES. Owned:

1. 1996 Corolla from new - no faults in 3 years, 25000 miles.

2. 1998 Corolla from new - no faults in 3 years 18,000 miles.

3. 2006 Corolla from new - only fault in 3 years 19,000 miles was corrosion on the rear hatch struts (replaced uner warranty)

4. 2009 Auris from new - only fault in 3 years (3 years old today) 15,000 miles, was a broken passenger side cupholder (replaced under warranty).

Ordered a new Auris yesterday for delivery later this month.

Five of the 17 new cars we have had have been Toyotas. The dealer I use (Burton - not my local dealer) is excellent - great customer service.

Edited by Auristocrat on 12/10/2012 at 22:56

Toyota are addressing customer misuse with this recall - not a manufacturing defect.

The master power window switch, in time, can become notchy in operation. Some customers have tried to ease their switches using lubricants on the switch - and it is these lubricants which can overheat and cause the switch to smoke or melt.

There has been one case identified in the UK.

Toyota are either replacing switches or using a special purpose lubricant to address this misuse.

Auristocrat, the dealers must love you - buy a new car - barely use it - and then buy another. Even a Range Rover would have a chance of being reliable with so few miles covered.

We run two cars and keep both for three years or so. Don't smoke, don't drink (much), don't go to football etc. Main 'vice' is an interest in cars.

Keep my cars in very tidy condition. On more than one occasion, my part ex has been put straight on sale when I've picked the new one up.

However, dealers don't have an easy time when I do change, as I know what I want, am very particular, and make sure the 'cost to change' is right for me (rather than them).

16 of the 17 cars have been Japanese brands, and one Korean (a Hyundai i20 for my partner bought in April). Six have been built in the UK (Honda Concerto (Longbridge), two Primeras, my last Corolla, and my two Auris's).

Retired at 54 (last year) so my new one will have to last a bit longer.

Edited by Auristocrat on 13/10/2012 at 01:13

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - 2.0Tsi
[Quote]However, dealers don't have an easy time when I do change, as I know what I want, am very particular, and make sure the 'cost to change' is right for me (rather than them).[/quote]

Yeah, I am am sure that you always win rather than the dealer ?? And he doesn't make any money off of you PMSL !

You are a dealerships perfect customer, buys a brand new car and then does low mileage and 'trades in' for a new model when your current car costs you nothing !

But you have a nice 'reliable' Toyota on your drive that you can tell the neighbours costs you 'nothing' !!!

54 going on senility. It's your money and no doubt you will come on 'defending' buying your new car, however as all your 'last' cars were absolutely 'perfect' then it must be just for 'wasting' money or something else?

Edited by 2.0Tsi on 13/10/2012 at 02:56

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - colinh

If you go to the VOSA website you'll see 7000 recalls listed in the last 20 years - perhaps you should be considering a bicycle

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - madf

Yes

My Yaris has been faultless : it's now nearly 9.

As above , Toyota recall cars for possible faults.

VAG ABS failures due to design issues? Engine misfiring issues.. both of which impact safety. Millions of cars potentially affected.. no recall.

Ford CVT - deliberate design fault causing them to give up after 40k miles.. No recall.

SAAB: bulkhead cracking near pedal box - safety issue. No recall.

No doubt lots of other examples.

You have a choice. Buy from a manufacturer whose customer care is legendary and proven .. or buy a car from people who run away after warranty has ended..

Anyone fancy a Rover Head Gasket change - a clear warranty issue.? No recall.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - sandy56

Hve owned a number of Toyotas over the years and ALL have been reliable and never let me down. My current Auris is 5 years old and hasnt cost me a penny other than normal service so YES. I would buy another.

Toyotas bore me to tears - but there's no question they are the best "normal" cars on the road in terms of dependability.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - corax

Toyotas bore me to tears

Heh heh very true SL, mine's no different, and although I could probably run it for years at low cost, I think I might have lost the will to live by then. Please inject some excitement into your model range Toyota.

But as a car to live with day to day cheaply without going wrong they are one of the best cars out there.

Electric window switch? Hardly in the same league as VAG Siemens diesel injector failure or oil pump drive failure, and I don't remember that making headline news despite being a safety issue.

I never said the dealer doesn't make any money from my transactions - obviously they do. Neither party 'wins' when buying a car - you reach the best compromise between what you want and what the dealer wants.

A car never costs nothing - you always have depreciation, servicing, etc to take into account.

We change our cars either when we want to or when we need to, and the reasons behind a change doesn't always relate to whether or not a car is reliable.

At the end of the day I'd rather be 54 and nowhere near senility, rather than jealous and stupid.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - unthrottled

It was a rather bizarre post!

! 54 going on senility. It's your money and no doubt you will come on 'defending' buying your new car, however as all your 'last' cars were absolutely 'perfect' then it must be just for 'wasting' money or something else?

Insults to others and abuse show you have lost the argument.

You should be ashamed and apologise..

(Says he in hope rather than expectation)

At least it shows Toyota are honest and have done a lot to make amends by extending their warranties. Complacency and brushing concerns under the carpet are what did for British Leyland.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - coopshere
Car ownership for the wife and I started in the 1970's. We have owned dozens of cars made in the UK, Europe, Japan and the US from most of the major manufacturers and ranging in size from a mini (a proper one) to a 7 seat estate. As we matured with age (and wine) we became more demanding, discerning and, possibly yes, more boring. The last three cars we have owned have been bought on the issues of reliability, value for money and comfort and after lots of research to arrive at our goal. After having two Hondas on the drive we have settled for our first ever Toyota, a 2010 petrol Avensis Estate. No, it doesn't set the world alight for style but it looks far better than some new models out there. Have now run it for 6 months and am well pleased so far. Research shows reliability as good as any and better than most, excellent customer service from the dealers, fair priced servicing and value for money when compared to similar models. So as a current owner, yes, I would recommend a Toyota, or at least the one I have.

A five year warranty is a good sign they look after their customers. Also the recalls show they care, remember Lancia and the potentially lethal problem of the engine dropping out with rust? They never recovered.

Toyota dealers also score very highly in JD Power surveys, something Ford and Vauxhall could learn from( not naming names but the two dealers near me are terrible). I do think the Japanese insist on the highest standards from their dealers.

I could turn the question around and ask who would you not recommend..

As GM are losing money as are Peugeot and Renault,.. not much free goodwill likely to be there...(GM and PSA have to close lots of car plants but politics..)

You just need the latest reliability lists and buy cars from the top 10 - which iirc excludes most European car manufacturers as a rough guide...(Japanese cars made in Europe are OK - which says the problem is with the management)

The top 2 most reliable makers are Honda and Toyota - in nearly every survey I have seen. Sometimes Lexus are number 2 - and Toyota number 3. (Lexus are of course owned by ... Toyota)

"Japanese cars made in Europe are OK - which says the problem is with the management."

We had a 1994 Honda Concerto from new (the car that the 1989-1995 Rover 200/400 was based on) which only had one issue (the switch in the drivers door controlling the alarm/central locking packed up - replaced under warranty) in the 3.5 years we owned it.

For the UK and European market the Concerto was built by Rover at Longbridge and (differently to the 200/400) used Honda front suspension and Honda 1.5 engine/drivetrain). All Concertos built at Longbridge were transported down to Honda at Swindon to go through the Honda quality control process. Those that passed were put through the dealer network for sale. Any requiring rectification were sent back to Longbridge, and, after rectification, were re-submitted to Honda at Swindon.

Our other cars which were built in the UK (Primeras, Corolla and Auris) or Europe (2007 Mazda 2 - built by Ford on the Fiesta line at Valencia), all proved to be just as or more fault free and reliable during our period of ownership.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Avant

Indeed so. There's nothing wrong with British workmanship provided that the workers are given decent components to work with and a proper quality control system in place. The same goes for the French who put together the Yaris, which is just as reliable as other Toyotas.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - akr

There have been countless posts on reliabiltiy and everyone knows that Japanese makes are the most reliable.

Similarly, everyone will have their own personal experience with individual makes which will influence their buying preferences

Me? As I've said many times before most of my cars have been Vauxhalls or VWs. The Vauxhalls have been more reliable. However, I currently have a VW because of the warped British snobbery that says "thou shalt pay more for any German car, regardless of whether it's actually reliable or not" so I know when I sell it some one will come along and give me a fortune for it in contrast to the Vauxhalls which were like second hand Beko washing machines in terms of worth!! I know my Mk6 Golf GTiwill doubtless be less reliable than a Toyota but it's a fantastic car which I enjoy driving every day. More than I can say of any Toyota (with the possible exception of the 86 which I've not driven yet) and will probably turn out to be cheaper in whole life costs when you take resale and everything into account.

So the whole thing boils down to choice. My Golf has been faultless in the 3 1/2 years I've had it and it'll always be worth a decent amount so I'd buy another - a Toyota would have driven me to insanity through boredom by now by contrast!!!! At the same time, I totally understand why people would buy one - as a utensil, you'll not go far wrong. As a "car to excite" for those of us who are into cars and driving you wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!!!

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Avant

I think that the boringness (if that's a word) of Toyotas is exaggerated, usually by people who don't drive them. When I've driven one of my daughter's Yarises (she had four 1.3s and has changed to a Hyundai i10 only because it's much cheaper) I've found it lively with nice direct steering and perfectly adequate ride and handling.

People are probably influenced by the motoring magazine testers who, for some reason that in 50 years of reading them I've yet to discover, judge a car on how it performs driven to extremes on twisty B-roads. In normal driving they're fine, and in my experience much better to drive than any Vauxhall I've tried.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Buster Cambelt

Absolutely no, SWMBO owned one (2008 Yaris) and it was the most unreliable and over-rated piece of junk this side of my unlamented Skoda Yeti.

After 6 months we bought her a FIAT 500 (which was great and she is now on her second). I used the Yaris for the station run for a while but I got fed up with its prediliction for failing to start after a day of parking.

Great tricks included blanking out the Nintendo-style dash while travelling, changing the language and units on said dash while travelling, lids flying open at the slightest bump, leaking boot, three gearboxes, headlamp fell out. It was four years ago and I am trying to forget. It was also VERY thirsty, did about 35mpg on a gentle 60mph cruise.

Local dealer was beyond hopeless and those I visited as a result of breakdowns weren't much better.

A triumph of marketing over ability.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Bobbin Threadbare

Mr B runs a 9 year old Celica. It is bombproof - he never gets any advisories on the MOT and he's run it for just over 4 years. The whole thing has a quality, solid feel to it. Then again, the Celica is out of Toyota's usual stable of sensible family cars, but they've recitifed that by introducing that GT-86 (which is on my list for a future vehicle...). My mum runs an Aygo, always has Toyota servicing etc. She's never had any problems with it, but she uses it as it was intended; short town journeys. Customer service at their garages is good too.

So yes, I'd have a Toyota.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - piggy

Yes,a definite yes. My virago, sorry, SWMBO ran a Corolla for over 150K miles to eleven years old. In all that time and mileage it only needed a screen washer pump. It had a few sets of tyres and a battery,otherwise nothing,not even a new exhaust system. Being parked outside a hotel all day it suffered the occasional scrape from careless parkers and became cosmetically scruffy.It went for very little money in the end. She now has a Jazz,but would rather another Corolla.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - gordonbennet

I agree its a pity Toyota are not a bit more adventurous, they have put some serious engines in cars, Celica GT4 still being highly sought after, and the very rare Corolla T Sport thingy with the supercharged petrol engine...a very quick car that qualifies as wolf in sheeps clothing, my daughter's hankering after one of those when her Civic 2.0S eventually gives in to, even if it shows no sign yet, the relentless thrashing...luckily she's given up on the Integra DC5 wish (for now), good car though it is the parts situation i wasn't looking forward to.

Why no 2.0 litre Diesel Yaris?, SWMBO's C2VTS wouldn't have been here if that had been available

I'm disappointed that Lexus models were never fitted with a decent Diesel lump, a heavily soundproofed Landcruiser 3.0 or 4.2td lump under the bonnet of a 300/400, especially if they'd offered an estate would have seen them wipe the floor with MB and BMW.

Disappointed too that Camry disappeared, though i think this is mostly to do with Lexus and marketing, if US model Camry was offered here i doubt they'd sell another iS model.

Toyota are conservative though, which is probably no bad thing, following the VED and BIK changes when other makers started pushing small supercharged and turbocharged petrol engines to beat the system Toyota held back from rushing into this, some of those offerings form other makers have turned out to be unreliable so probably for the best, Toyota stand by their products and put their mistakes right, unlike some.

I too find Toyotas current line up rather too bland for me (4x4's and commercials apart which are still the best available despite motoring writers waxing lyrical over LR products), i like current Avensis tourer a lot, could well have one if it wasn't for the damned electric handbrake, which i'm not having ever, new or used....my line in the sand.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - jamie745

At least Toyota acknowledge a problem, unlike BMW and Fiat who have recently been involved in cases of ignoring issues.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - balleballe

At least Toyota acknowledge a problem, unlike BMW and Fiat who have recently been involved in cases of ignoring issues.

Add mazda to that list too

Add mazda to that list too

Add VAG to the list. And Renault. And Ford, And Mercedes..

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - TeeCee

Just from reading here:

You could buy a VAG product and have them deny all knowledge when the injectors fail or the braking system electronics turn their toes.

You could buy a Ford and have them say it's unheard of when the turbo blows due to injector seal failure or the gearbox packs up due to being unsuited to the car, but cheap.

You could buy a Mercedes and find that the holes in their anticorrosion warranty are actually larger than the holes in the car.

Or you could buy a Toyota and have them recall it and fix it for free, should a serious recurring fault show up on that model.

One of these manufacturers appears to actually care about their product and customers......

Edit: I should add that I've been running a Prius for four years now. One failed auxiliary battery (the little lead-acid one that provides a base load to the inverter) is the total of problems to date and that wasn't serious - car still usable and 45 minutes at the garage to sort it out.

Edited by TeeCee on 15/10/2012 at 09:21

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - dieseldogg

As a very new to Toyota owner I would agree with TeeCee appraisal.

First off it was not a manufacturing or design fault

Rather operator misuse in respect of using flammable lubricant.

BUT

Toyota stood by this understandable (i understand ) operator misuse.

Plus so far we have found Toyota much more helpful than our current and very very long ongoing and as yet unresolved saga with a bought new Octavia.

Despity the Skoda hype............. Skoda and their dealers (well in N I ) are useless/very unhelpful.

Flog one the car.............next customer please.

PS

I do like the Octavia, by and large like Ronseal it does what it says on the Tin.

Except for one particular gremlin.

BUT their dealerships or mechanics do NOT know their product.

gibber

mutter

&

Twitch

Edited by dieseldogg on 15/10/2012 at 12:26

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Snakey

I would still probably buy another Toyota, although my experiences when I bought my nearly new 2005 Avensis were not good.

In the 14 months the car spent 35 days in the dealer, getting numerous faults fixed with several attempts at each fault. What also annoyed me is that Toyota issued a minor recall for the Avenis around then and offered customers £15 of fuel and a bottle of fizzy wine to compensate which I though was a nice gesture.

Unsurprisingly the dealer 'forgot' to pass this on until I asked for it, so my dubious experience of Toyotas might be more down to a useless dealership.

In the main it is the dealership experience, While I think the latest Fords are good enough cars, the dealers can be a let down as they're often huge chains with a high staff turnover.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Phil F.

I have a 05 Avensis auto.Both the car and several dealerships I have used have been exceptional.I had a couple of niggles with it at first which would have been very expensive to resolve if I had to pay for it,and not strictly speaking covered by the warranty,but they were sorted out without any quibbles.Since then,no issues at all.

I would certainly say the dealerships are way better than any main dealer I have dealt with before,including surprisingly a very poor local Honda dealer!

However........as some others have said the Avensis is a very "boring" car to drive in my opinion.In fact I have recently been driving my wifes Focus auto,which is a real drivers car and has reminded me what pleasure you can get from driving and I am reluctant to give back!...I previously had a Corolla auto,which again felt very robust but driveability wise the focus is light years ahead of it.So much so that I got rid of it after a couple of months...not good for the wallet.

I have read some reports that the new Avensis is mind numbingly boring,but have never driven one to confirm this.

In terms of reliability,dealership quality I would very highly recommemd them.

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - jeff78

They have to be the most boring car brand at the moment. Other than the new sports car thing, (86 something?), then all the cars are so bland and look the same

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - Cluedo

I would still buy a Toyota for all the reasons people have given above.

They do not hide from the fact that something has gone or may go wrong and will ensure it gets fixed and not hidden.

This is real customer care.

When I have seen people take Toyotas back for a recall they are usually compensated for petrol money and presented with a small gift (bottle of wine) for the inconvenience.

I have a colleague who is currently building the new Auris - apparently it is a completely different car to the current car in terms of quality. The interior has been designed by Lexus and all the interior components are made to much tighter tolerances and fit much better. Where the previous bits just pushed together the new one takes some more force and it feels much better for it. (I am still not a fan of how it looks yet but maybe it will grow on me).

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - coopshere
"I have read some reports that the new Avensis is mind numbingly boring,but have never driven one to confirm this."

A sports car it isn't but I find a sportish drive can be had with the use of sport mode and the padddle shift. The ride is on the soft side of firm but the steering is precise with good feedback. You just have to accept its a big estate car not a small hatchback. Horses for courses and all that.

I test drove a Yarios hybrid.. Quiet and great in town.. Boring ? Not with the gadgets... Ford about a decade behind...

Would you still recommend a Toyota? - glowplug

My Prius is boring, it's got over 113k on it and all I've had to do is wash it and clean the calipers to stop it squeaking when creeping along. It's really boring when sat in a traffic jam with a good song on the stereo, no engine noise, no clutch, no fuel comsumption and everything working as it should. At times like that I really wish I had a car with great handling, rubber band tyres, harsh suspension, a clutch that builds leg muscles and a list of faults.

Steve.

At times like that I really wish I had a car with great handling, rubber band tyres, harsh suspension, a clutch that builds leg muscles and a list of faults.

Steve.

You mean a BMW then? Or an Audi?