untrodden paths! - concrete

I shall be visiting a part of the country very much unknown to me. I am travelling from the North East to the Ludlow area in Shropshire. Looking at the map the obvious route is M1, M42. A448 through Kidderminster. An aquaitance said the Kidderminster through to Bewdley was a bit of trial and suggested using the M62 then A49. That too looks a fairly direct route. My main question is this; on a Saturday morning would route 1 be quicker or easier than route 2. Any advice from frequent travellers on these routes would be welcome. Cheers Concrete

untrodden paths! - veryoldbear

Allow yourself a disproportionate amount of time for the latter phases of the journey irrespective of direction: avoid roads with grass growing down the middle.

untrodden paths! - madf

Watch out for hunt packs on Saturday mornings.

untrodden paths! - Neiltoo

The A49 is just about my favourite road in the UK.

It's wonderfully picturesque, and has a reasonable surface and alignment.

You can keep up a reasonable speed, except where it passes through the few small towns and villages.

Never had any major hold ups, except once trying to get into Ludlow for the Food Fair.

Ludlow is a wonderful town.

untrodden paths! - unthrottled

The A49 is picturesque in places, but don't bank on doing any more than 40mph. The A50 it is not.

untrodden paths! - dieselnut

The A49 is a great road although i'm usually on 2 rather than 4 wheels when using it.

I would suggest joining it via the M56 rather than M62, otherwise you'll have to negotiate the congestion through Warrington.

Keep an eye out around the Whitchurch bypass, its a favourite spot for the mobile speed camera.

Thanks dieselnut, especially the tip about the cameras. Definitely on four wheels but going for a long break so will be relaxed and unhurried. My son is following us down on his bike and my daughter in her car, later in the day, so I will pass on all your comments. I get the impression that I am heading into duelling banjos' country, which suits me fine after a fairly busy year. Now where is that guitar?? Thanks to all, so far. Concrete

untrodden paths! - Bobbin Threadbare

I second dieselnut's comments - avoid Warrington and the M62 at all costs! Even on a Saturday it can be mad around there.

untrodden paths! - Ed V

All I can remember about Ludlow is that there is not much traffic at all [I'm based in the south east though!] and that Ludlow and its race course are wonderful relics. I'll be first into the trenches there when the revolution comes.

untrodden paths! - Duncan112

Agree, A49 every time - if you use a sat nav it may try to send you to the end of the M56 and then down the A41 as far as Whitchurch to maximise motorway miles (some Navmans do this at least) also a nice route and not much difference in time. Maynards farm shop near Hawkstone Park is worth a visit if you like your bacon!!

untrodden paths! - alan O

The 8.43 from Newcastle will get you to Ludlow for 1.16 with a change at Manchester - dead easy and no traffic hold-ups - and you can use your mobile phone without getting 3 points!

The 8.43 from Newcastle will get you to Ludlow for 1.16 with a change at Manchester - dead easy and no traffic hold-ups - and you can use your mobile phone without getting 3 points!

Fair point, went to Glasgow last week via train and it was great. However SWMBO is not one to travel light and we intend to make day trips while in the Ludlow area. I will be relaxed and driving as such because I will be on holiday but I am always wary of the camera stasi, especially in uncharted territory. Thanks to all for the comments, very welcome. I must go now; I may be some time!! Cheers Concrete