Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI Estate Meridian - A Fuel related problem? - Andsboy

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge.. and the way i explain the problem! I have a (pug 306 hdi 2.0 Meridian estate Y reg) With a faulty fuel gauge reading( Always reads higher than half a tank even when there is less) I HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP(Curtsey of a garage).
Lately the car will not start at times, For me to get it to start when it doesn't start it will take 3 diesel containers(£24 to start).. which is weird on one occasion I believed there to be half a tank in there, so I traveled 80 miles and then thought i would put another £20 worth of diesel in it alas Diesel peed out over the edge I had a full tank!! A full tank being 60 Liters around £85??!!

If you would like me to explain anything in greater detail please ask!!

Please does anybody have any ideas, If so please use simplified explanations..

Yours thankfully,

Andsboy

Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI Estate Meridian - A Fuel related problem? - FP

I'm not sure I get this.

You're saying that the fuel gauge shows there is more in the tank than there actually is and when the car won't start you put fuel in the tank. After that, it starts. That sounds as if it won't start because the tank is empty - or am I missing something?

Edited by FP on 08/10/2012 at 12:29

Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI Estate Meridian - A Fuel related problem? - gordonbennet

The replaced fuel pump...was that an in-tank pump.

Sounds like the pick up pipe might either be loose or missing or too high in the tank, so needs to be nearly half full for the fuel to get sucked up.

I think you've got to have a poke nose inside the tank to see whats going on.

Hi thankyou for replying..

The fuel gauge(next to the rev counter) always shows more than there is!!

I hear what your saying FP.. I thought that too until a couple of days ago.. but after only putting £24 of diesel in, then traveling 80miles(by now should only be an ok amount left) using your logic as was I, I put another £20 in and overflowed) which I can only conclued that it was half full to start with! It holds around £80 is that roughly right?

Gordonbennet... the intank pump got replaced!! where about is the pick up pipe?

on top of the intank pump there is two pipes that can be deattched by pressing a clip and pulling! what are these 2( Inlet outlet)??

Thanks Andsboy

Edited by Andsboy on 08/10/2012 at 22:53

Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI Estate Meridian - A Fuel related problem? - gordonbennet

Haven't been inside a 306 tank, but generally the pick up pipe will go straight down to the floor of the tank, and might have a strainer on the very end, i'm wondering if the pick up pipe is for some reason not fully down at the bottom, or has been damaged or dislodged in some way.

Where you describe the two pipes going into the tank, yes feed and return, is that fitting able to be undone or unclipped fairly easily, if so that should give you access to be able to look see whats happening in the tank.

If the sender is damaged nows the time to shove another one in.

Ok I will have a look tommorrow..! Any heads up before I start!???

Thanks Andsboy