Vauxhall Zafira B (58 Plate) - Vauxhall Zafira - No Spare Wheel - Cieurniht

I have had a Zafira (58) for approx 6 months and it is coming up to its MOT.

This car has no spare wheel (unlike the usual Zafira rear underslung wheel) and no car jack. Instead it has an airpump and cartridge of tyre sealant which is blown into the tyre in the event of a puncture.

I do not think the car is running on run flats at the moment, so with the MOT coming up, is the garage likely to fail the car for having no spare wheel? Am I required to put runflats on the car?

Thanks for any advice.

Vauxhall Zafira B (58 Plate) - Vauxhall Zafira - No Spare Wheel - unthrottled

No.

Vauxhall Zafira B (58 Plate) - Vauxhall Zafira - No Spare Wheel - TeeCee

unlike the usual Zafira rear underslung wheel

I believe that they discontinued this practice on later models as they were frequently stolen.

MOT does not mandate a spare, but if one is present it must be roadworthy. A common trick with an "iffy" spare is to remove it for MOT purposes....

Vauxhall Zafira B (58 Plate) - Vauxhall Zafira - No Spare Wheel - bathtub tom

>>MOT does not mandate a spare, but if one is present it must be roadworthy

Since when? The only requirement's: The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel.

Vauxhall Zafira B (58 Plate) - Vauxhall Zafira - No Spare Wheel - skidpan

MOT does not mandate a spare, but if one is present it must be roadworthy

Correct. Of our 3 cars only one has a spare. One has run flats and the other has a can of goo in the boot. Never have a problem at MOT time and never will.

With regards to run flats it is only permissible to use them if the car has a pressure monitoring system fitted, the reason is they do not go flat when they loose pressure, just looking at a tyre with zero pressure is not obvious. Run flats should also be fitted to rims with an "extended hump" to prevent the tyre rolling off the rim. The Zafira will have neither since Vauxhall do not specify run flat tyres