Bank statements - nick62

Just sorting-out bank statements for last year and I cannot find statement number 12/2011 for December 2011, (my statements are numbered 01/2011 for Jan, 02/2011 for Feb, etc.). By chance my statements are dated from 1st of month to last day of month (be that the 28th, 29th, 30th or 31st).

After tearing half my study down in search of said "missing" statement, I have a look at the ones I have again and notice that November statement is numbered 11/2011 as would be expected, (dated from 1st to 30th November), but then the "missing" statement which I expected to be number 12/2011 is actually numbered 01/2012 and dated from 1st to 31st December 2011. The next one is numbered 02/2012 and is dated from 2nd to 31st Jan 2012............so all of a sudden the numbering system goes to pot and the 1st Jan 2012 never happened at Santander!

Why/how do banks make such a pig's ear of what was a simple system? How can the number 01/2012 apply to a date period that is all in 2011?

BTW I need to get out more.

Edited by nick62 on 30/09/2012 at 17:14

Bank statements - tony g
Hi nick,
Santander are a very poor organisation ,although they have some very good products ,4% on cash isas ,the 123 account offering up to 3% on purchases is also very good .

However their systems and staff can be very poor .Last year I bought a car for £7k from a local auction , I had checked my balance before buying it to make sure I had cleared funds ,but my debit card was refused .I rang Santander three times after the card was refused three times to be told the card would go through ,it didn't .

Eventually I called at a branch of Santander to pick up a bankers draft to buy the car .

The next day I rang Santander in Glasgow ,I was finally told that the maximum amount per transaction was £3000 ,this was never mentioned by the staff I spoke to the previous day ,they didn't know !

All I needed to do was make three seperate debit card transactions one after another and the problem would have been resolved .

I wrote and complained formally about the inconvenience they had caused me ,and they credited my account with £70 for the inconvenience .

So they come across as a bank with market leading products but as a business bank they're pretty shabby .

Tony g
Bank statements - FP

I think Tony's right.

I've been with Santander for some time - I was with Alliance and Leicester before it was taken over - and I accept that the endless complaints about Santander's mistakes and general incompetence that litter the national press show that they are semi-dysfunctional. Goodness knows how much they fork out to keep their customers happy when things go wrong.

But to be fair, I have never been affected by anything like this. I wonder how long it will be before my luck runs out!

Bank statements - Chris M

My wife worked for Santander. One of their problems is that whilst they now have one shop front, behind the scenes they still have the legacy of three banks with different systems and different terms and conditions.