VW Golf Mk6 - Tyre wear problem - mustangman

Just had to replace the front tyres on the Golf, for the second time at 49k miles.

The tyres coming off were bald on the inside edges, but had about 2 mm on the outside.

I've just had the wheel alingment checked, It was said to be spot on. The guy at the depot said quite a number of cars have enough negative camber to cause premature wear.

However, the alignment report shows that the rear wheels have about twice the camber of the front but are wearing evenly across the tread.

So 'go figure' as the Yanks say. Does this happen to other vehicles / owners ?

VW Golf Mk6 - Tyre wear problem - gordonbennet

Yes, quite a few MB's display this inner shoulder wear too, RWD's though in the vast majority of cases.

Assuming tracking good and no suspension wear all you can do is rotate tyres to even the wear out, exactly as we used to.

VW Golf Mk6 - Tyre wear problem - bathtub tom

I understood that wear caused by camber should be compensated by 'toe'. It's something that should be sorted at the design stage and could explain why your rears are wearing evenly.

I'd be tempted to add a little toe-in or ask them to adjust it to the limit of maximum toe-in.

VW Golf Mk6 - Tyre wear problem - Collos25

In my opinion 25k from a set of front tyres is hardly bad or is it. One assumes that at 49k it had the third set of tyres if it was only the second it is quite remarkable.

Edited by Collos25 on 17/09/2012 at 17:30

VW Golf Mk6 - Tyre wear problem - mustangman

Just to be correct, at 49k this was the end of the second pair of front tryes.

Also we have a VW Eos in the family that has been checked as having correct alignment, but suffers from wear on the inside of the rear tyres.