4 by 4 - PARKING ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Legal? APCOA - Parking

Can anyone help please? I have just received a Parking Enforcement Notice from APCOA for failing to park in a designated parking area at Luton Airport. My husband pulled over for no longer than 40 seconds to check our car park address on our paperwork!! They are saying £80 is chargable.

IS THIS LEGAL?

Your replies would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

4 by 4 - PARKING ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Legal? APCOA - Dwight Van Driver

Got to be careful with this one as Airports, Trains Stations can have a BY Law in place prohibiting parking and as such a criminal offence to transgress. Whereas if no BY law in force then it is a civil matter of contract of which has been thumped to death on this site.

As a guide if the 'ticket' is headed PARKING CHARGE NOTICE and not PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE( until next month) it is one that can be ignored totally and any further correspondence from them.

Or, you coud just pay.

dvd

4 by 4 - PARKING ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Legal? APCOA - FP

DVD knows what he's on about.

I would only add (being fairly local to Luton) that there are plenty of stories of drivers being served with notices for having stopped at various points before the short-stay/set-down areas - sometimes literally for seconds to allow passengers out so they can walk the last few metres and beat the traffic queues.

My guess is that some of these notices will be Parking Charges and some will be Penalty Charges, depending on the precise location of the offence.

Another reason to check the ticket very carefully.

4 by 4 - PARKING ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Legal? APCOA - Parking

Thank you so much for responding. Really appreciate it.

My letter definately says 'Parking Enforcement Notice'.

Guess I will ignore this then and keep my fingers crossed.

4 by 4 - PARKING ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Legal? APCOA - ecallaghan

What has changed since this thread started? My father has had a Civil Parking Notice for 'allegedly' parking in a restricted area. He wasn't parked within a designated space but still paid the appropriate fee etc. He returned to the CPN - what should he do? My initial reaction was to ignore but I wondered if the laws have changed in some way?

TIA

4 by 4 - PARKING ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Legal? APCOA - RT

Until 30th Sept, parking companies could only take civil legal action against the driver - but the registered keeper was under no obligation to name the driver - unlike criminal offences on public highway.

From 1st Oct, the parking company can take civil legal action against the registered owner so simply ignoring the PCN may not work.