Ford Mondeo - Replacing car antenna with DAB/FM one - primeradriver

Hi,

Just a quick question -- are the fitting points for roof-mounted antennas standardised?

I have a MK3 Mondeo, and have a Philips DAB head unit which I took from my last car. On that car I was using a DAB splitter which worked well, however it's no use at all on this car.

I'm not sure the wiring to the antenna is right anyway -- this car is ex-police and I think they've messed around with all that stuff.

So, I was thinking of buying a DAB/FM antenna and run the two sets of cables down to the head unit.

Are the mounting holes standard, or will I need some kind of bracket for this? Or would it just be easier to pay the man to do the job properly?

Ford Mondeo - Replacing car antenna with DAB/FM one - Bobbin Threadbare

I could have solved this one for you, until you said it was ex-police, so I have no idea what they might have switched about in there!

I fitted a DAB unit to a Mk I Focus - it was a pretty easy job, if fiddly.

It would be worth buying the DAB antenna. f I remember correctly, I removed my old FM aerial and there was obviously a hole there, so I put the DAB antenna through that and it came with some plastic cicle things to click into the hole. I don't think these worked very nicely. I will have another think and see if I've got any pics because it'll be a similar job.

Thanks for the feedback. The car was a liaison vehicle, not a panda or persuit vehicle, so the changes are minimal (handsfree kit is the only obvious thing, now removed). But as you say, being ex-fuzz, god only knows what nastiness lies underneath!

I've dropped the seller of the antenna a line to see what he says. I'll buy it in and give it a go -- if I get stuck, I'll pass the mess over to a qualified pro and/or ask questions on t'internet :)

Cheers.

Ford Mondeo - Replacing car antenna with DAB/FM one - BigJohnD

An external DAB specific aerial, mounted as high as possible is the best option. The glass mounted JVC HAL4 is easy to fit and works well.

Most DAB car radios have both FM and DAB aerial inputs, so use the existing FM aerial and your new DAB aerial.

I've tried FM/DAB aerials with splitters and they're poor.

All the best.

Edited by BigJohnD on 07/09/2012 at 18:34

An external DAB specific aerial, mounted as high as possible is the best option. The glass mounted JVC HAL4 is easy to fit and works well.

Most DAB car radios have both FM and DAB aerial inputs, so use the existing FM aerial and your new DAB aerial.

I've tried FM/DAB aerials with splitters and they're poor.

All the best.

The glass mounted one isn't as good as a proper aerial but it's less faffy to fix up! Agreed - the splitters are pants.

Ford Mondeo - Replacing car antenna with DAB/FM one - elekie&a/c doctor

For best reception I would use Hirschmann roof mount aerial.Excellent quality ,but at a price,over £100.Glass mount aerials can be a problem if you have heated front screen or any other dashmount electronic device.hth

Thanks for all the feedback.

To clarify I should point out that it's a roof-mounted DAB/FM aerial I'm talking about here, with separate FM and DAB leads at the antenna itself -- not a splitter further down (which is what I currently have and which doesn't work, even though it was a good solution on the Focus).

The windscreen is heated so a glass-mount antenna is out.

Are we saying then that these dual-purpose antennas are no good (like ebay auctions 271022248385 or 380443375072)?

I had a JVC-HAL2 DAB/AM/FM aerial - a DAB aerial and a DAB/FM aerial are the same beast - they have two wires and no splitter.

I ran the wires around the windscreen under the trim. It was neat and tidy.

I had a look at your eBay suggestions - they are fine. You run into trouble when the car aerial is also used for GPS etc, and some Vauxhalls have the rear washer jet as part of the same unit, so you can't swap one of these in.