Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - Dougie68

I noticed yesterday that the paintwork is rusting from underneath the driver's door handle. Had a really close look at the other doors and they've all got rust bubbling out from underneath their handles too. I couldn't believe it....underneath the door handles!? The car's not even 3 years old.

Before I get onto the garage where it's been regularly serviced had anyone seen rusting there before?

Also on reading the Anti Perforation Warranty it's exclusions state "stone chips, seam corrosion or paint failure". I wouldn't class door handles as a seam, but what on earth is "paint failure"?!

Thanks

Dougie

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - thunderbird

Are you 100% certain its rust? To see it on one door would be very odd in a modern car 3 years old but on all 4 appears impossible to me.

If you have maintained the car and had it inspected in accordance with the warranty terms you will be covered, take it to your dealer.

Hi Thunderbird,

Absolutely 100%. The top layers of paint have flaked off the driver's side now, showing bare metal.

I'll take it in once I've calmed down!

Thanks

Dougie

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Have you owned the vehicle from new? If you have then Hyundai have an obligation to fix it for you. If you bought it secondhand, then it me have had accident damage and a poor repair. this would be for you then to discuss with the seller.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Hi Robin,

I took the car to the dealer yesterday to have it checked.

After about 40 minutes the guy came out to say they had removed a door handle to see what's happening. I was told when the door is opened, the action itself is causing the leading edge of the handle to rub against the paint. I wonder if we're not meant to use the door handles and climb in through the boot?

The worst door is obviously the driver's side as it's used most often, followed by the passenger and then the back doors.

They've taken photos and will send them away to Hyundai to ask for clearance to start the repairs. The guy said the 4 doors would probably need resprayed. During the paint check they spotted a rust bubble under the rear wiper arm too but I should wait until it gets bigger and to have it sorted.

We'll see what happens next.

Thanks

Dougie

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Have you owned the vehicle from new? If you have then Hyundai have an obligation to fix it for you. If you bought it secondhand, then it me have had accident damage and a poor repair. this would be for you then to discuss with the seller.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Don't you just hate it when OP's start 2 virtually identical threads, what do they want, a choice of answers.

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - RT

Don't want to disillusion you but you haven't bought a South Korean car, which are well made these days - you've bought a Turkish-built Hyundai i20 so draw your own conclusions.

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - madf

Don't you just hate it when OP's start 2 virtually identical threads, what do they want, a choice of answers.

+1

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - slkfanboy

Sorry to say it's nothing to do with the workmanship. Cheap metal IMHO. I have a Hyundai and it's 5 years old. Panels mostly ok , but odd parts rusted to dust already for example Brake dust covers = dust. Boot lock = dust. Brake pipes already bad. Rear brake drum badly rusted (never seen that before). and so on. New cars are much better I understand but have seen posting of some issues. Great value for money cars, just don't keep them past the 5 yrs IMHO

Thanks slkfanboy and RT.

I received a mailshot offering me £2K off new i20 as I was a customer who took advantage of the scrappage scheme. Don't think so...loved my knackered old Polo more than this, even when it was brand new. Think I'll change back to VW once get rust sorted.

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - cws

I wouldn't bother going to VW if you want rouble-free motoring.....

I would, however, recomend a Skoda.

Between the handle and the bodywork there should be a rubber membrane. If this is missing the paint will become damaged. Advise that you look at other cars on the lot to check this is correct for Hyundai's (it is for Nissan's, Ford's, BMW's and Kia's) and ensure they are there after the repair.

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - madf

Sorry to say it's nothing to do with the workmanship. Cheap metal IMHO. I have a Hyundai and it's 5 years old. Panels mostly ok , but odd parts rusted to dust already for example Brake dust covers = dust. Boot lock = dust. Brake pipes already bad. Rear brake drum badly rusted (never seen that before). and so on. New cars are much better I understand but have seen posting of some issues. Great value for money cars, just don't keep them past the 5 yrs IMHO

And do you seriously think other mass car makers are any different? The parts suppliers are the same the world over and no-one rust proofs the minor fixings. See VW...or Toyota or Audi..

Edited by madf on 24/09/2012 at 15:32

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - Mossymoo

Hi Dougie , I have an I20 and it has rusted since it was 6 months old. It was purchased in 2009. It rusts around the door handles and if you look carefully you will probably have rust appearing on the lower back window. My car has been re sprayed in areas 11 times now. I have written to the Chief Exec and I get sent back to the garage - and it`s a joke. The car was supposed to have a paintwork inspection 2 yrs ago , but guess what, the Hyundai garage simply didn`t do it - they repaired the car and said that they can`t inspect a vehicle which doesn`t (currently )have any paintwork problem.

I wrote again to Hyundai when the problems came back again and they invited me to have the car inspected just yesterday. The service manager said he was making a paintwork inspection (the service manager!) and spent no longer than 5 minutes looking at the car. I might also add that the car was dirty (I do clean it,but I drove 20 miles in sleet and snow so it was going to be dirty). So this was a full paintwork inspection in 5 mins on a dirty car, I really don`t think it was.

To add to this , when I took the car back (this is the 3rd time the doors had been re-sprayed ) I was told that the warranty dept had decided the car was satisfactorily repaired last time and therefore they were VOIDING the warranty on this panal. It is a breach of their terms and conditions !

I have started looking at Hyundai i20`s in supermarket car parks, to date I`ve seen approx 15 , reds and blues and guess what? They all have EXACTLY the same paintwork problems.

So, Dougie, please be assured your paint will blister again and you will get rust on your back window and around your indicators and Hyundai will NOT do what they should do , I`m sorry to say. The 10 yr anti - corrosion warranty , the 5 yr warranty , your consumer rights , their t`s and c`s will not stand for anything at all !

I have written to see if this car can be re - called but it has to be a safety issue for that to happen .

I have approached people to see if we can find strength in numbers and approach Hyundai or a court , but the SMMT say every case is taken as individual even thought the problems are exactly the same.

If you`re able to help me , please do .

Kind Regards, Mossymoo

Hyundai i20 - South Korean workmanship?! - Mossymoo

I`ve just read your thread re boot rust .