Ford Focus Estate - Focus Mk1 Estate Tailgate Release Issues? - Wokeye

I have a 53 reg Focus Ghia estate and recently the tailgate release mechanism has started to play up. It first started that the keyfob boot unlock and the button on the dash would only work intermittently more often than not, not opening the tailgate. This was no big deal as I just used the key. Then they both stopped working altogether so again I though sod it I will just use the key as it is no big deal and I dislike paying main s****** prices. Then yesterday the wife was out shopping tried to open the boot with the key and it opened a little but the latch was not fully disengaging and the boot could not be opened. I tried it myself and it will open a little but the latch is still holding it. I do not know if maybe a solenoid in the latch is not allowing the latch to fully disengage. I am guessing that I need to buy a whole new latch assembly with this issue? I have a haynes manual and I do not know where the fuse for the boot release is, as it is not listed. Thanks for any help.

Ford Focus Estate - Focus Mk1 Estate Tailgate Release Issues? - Cris_on_the_gas

try a quick spray of WD 40 around any moving parts you can see. Can you squirt a bit in the keyhole.