VW Diesel Golf Estate - Why would dealer not prepare car for sale first? - Redhound

Hi, ignorant newbie here, be gentle! Hoping for some thoughts, I viewed a Golf today at an independent dealer, the guy seemed really nice, no bad vibes. I liked the car too, it ran sweetly and looked in OK condition for mileage. What confused me a little was that the dealer freely pointed out that the tyres and clutch needed replacing, they were both obvious actually, he also said that this had put a couple of people off. He said he would get these and anything else that needed doing fixed if I wanted it, new cam belt too, but it just seemed odd to do it this way round; surely he would sort these things first? My concern was that it wouldn't go into gear once during my test drive, this is presumably the clutch but I won't know this for sure until its been replaced...also the tyre wear was slightly uneven not markedly so, how would I know if the whole chassis had been bent? Sorry if these are daft questions thanks :-)

VW Diesel Golf Estate - Why would dealer not prepare car for sale first? - Mike H

Cash flow? Perhaps he might need to pass the car further on through the trade and therefore the cost of the work would not be recouped?

Having said that, I agree with you, I'd be wary of such a car given that a couple of other prospective buyers had already seen it. Could understand it if it had just arrived on the forecourt. Perhaps tony g has some input?

Edited by Mike H on 28/08/2012 at 23:19

VW Diesel Golf Estate - Why would dealer not prepare car for sale first? - Redhound

Thank you for your thoughts. I felt it was a bit odd and that I could not judge the car properly in that condition. It was an ex lease company car too and I felt that it had not had TLC with the clutch and tyres in that state. I am in no hurry and am feeling inclined to keep looking for a 1 loving owner type vehicle..though I did like that one otherwise... thanks again.

VW Diesel Golf Estate - Why would dealer not prepare car for sale first? - tony g
Hi red ,
It's no way to offer a car for sale .As you say the dealer has already lost several potential buyers .

You could never be certain that the dealer would do the work to a decent standard ,also we loose interest once we have your money !

Don't get involved ,why start with a problem car when there are lots of decent cars to be bought ?

Wherever you buy a car you must have an HPI report and a VOSA report .Most people are aware of HPI .The VOSA report is an mot history report from the direct gov website ,it helps to confirm a cars mileage and it's free .

Good luck

Tony g

Many thanks for your words of wisdom, which make perfect sense of course :-) I will pass on this one and keep looking..

I had remembered the HPI check but hadn't thought of the VOSA one, so thank you for the tip! I did ring VW and they were helpful.

Thanks again, I am pleased to have found this site and will no doubt be posting again during my search.

Best wishes,

Redhound.