Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - damion

I have just purchased a 1999 V70 with 144,000 on the clock for £880 any good advice or tips would be much appreciated. It will primarily be a dog transport car so not to worried about the interior and have been warned about keeping it serviced and oiled, seems to be in good order apart from grinding noise going into third gear. All the best, Damion.

Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - tony g
Hi Damion ,
Sounds like a worn synchro, could be very expensive to fix ,but I'm no mechanic .
If you're just using it as a runabout ,whenever possible avoid using third gear .Change from 2 to 4 ,I'm not sure whether it will extend the gearboxes life but at least you will be spared the grinding noise .

If you have to use third ,double de clutch, as my dad use to say .especially when changing down to third .Method below ,anybody else remember double de clutch ?

Push down on the clutch ,move the car from 4 into neutral ,let the clutch up .put the clutch in again ,put the car into third ,let the clutch up .its a slow technique from many years ago and too slow for modern driving conditions ,but it could prolong the life of the gearbox .

Regards

Tony g
Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - Ed V

I had to sue DDC methods on many an early car, especially on the low gears. I rather enjoyed changing down as a result. Most flaccid modern vehicles wouldn't react as quickly as is needed in the pedal area though, so it's just as well we have synchromesh.

Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - galileo

Learning to drive in the 1960's,as I did, few (if any) cars had synchro on first gear - most were geared low enough that second could be used from very low speeds, but on 3-speed Fords it was almost essential to learn double declutching if you were balked on a hill and wanted to keep moving smoothly.

And the first few cars I could afford (well used ones!) had synchro so worn on second that DDC was often the only way to change down without crunching noises.

Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - mss1tw

And the first few cars I could afford (well used ones!) had synchro so worn on second that DDC was often the only way to change down without crunching noises.

I've had that on loads of cars - anyone know why second in particular is usually baulky?!

A blip of the throttle results in a silky smooth change most of the time, though.

Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - 659FBE

The reason why second gear synchromesh is the first to wear out is simply that the gear ratios on any vehicle are spaced as a geometric progression to match the drag curve. This means that the ratio steps become closer together as you move up the gears.

First is not often selected on the move at higher speeds and hence wear here is minimal, but a change from third to second is frequently made and is a large ratio step. The consequence of this is that the synchroniser has to dissipate an appreciable amount of stored energy in order to match the gear/dog speeds. This equates to wear.

Not only is 3-2 the widest ratio step frequently used, but of course, the energy dissipated (as heat) in the synchroniser is a function of the square of the rotational speed difference. This makes the 3-2 change doubly vulnerable to wear.

Better gearbox makers equip the lower ratios with larger synchronisers. The Volvo transverse transmission is a bit of a bodge (they had to leave room for a 5 cyl engine and still ended up with no steering lock) and the double layshaft box they designed has a higher moment of inertia than a standard transmission of similar torque capacity. The synchromesh suffers accordingly.

Edited by 659FBE on 30/08/2012 at 11:21

Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - corax

Better gearbox makers equip the lower ratios with larger synchronisers. The Volvo transverse transmission is a bit of a bodge (they had to leave room for a 5 cyl engine and still ended up with no steering lock) and the double layshaft box they designed has a higher moment of inertia than a standard transmission of similar torque capacity. The synchromesh suffers accordingly.

That's interesting 659FBE. Many owners complain that the S60's and V70's have the turning circle of Queen Mary. I always thought that the gearboxes in early Volvo's were good strong units. The diffs certainly were on the rear wheel drive models.

Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - 659FBE

There was certainly nothing wrong with Volvo (pre-Ford) designed and made transmissions of conventional layout. They were conservatively designed with SKF rolling bearings and lasted well - if not the nicest to use.

In any engineering project, problems arise when you stick your fingers in the fire. Volvo presumably did not want to buy or tool for V6 engines for their larger models and thought a compromise might be a transverse 5. In my engineering experience, this sort of thing happens when a Chief Engineer stakes his name to a project, stands on the table and won't get off. The poor sods under him have to make it all work (been there).

Whatever one's feelings about 5 cyl engines (not for me - I like perfect primary balance), the transverse fitment of such an engine to a normal car poses real problems of power unit length. Marketing demands 6 speeds for a manual transmission (questionable with a high torque diesel and a 70 mph UK limit) which places further constraints on the transmission design - especially its length.

Volvo's solution was a twin layshaft box (I wonder if the designer ever had a SAAB 96) which will accomodate the required ratios in a very short space at the expense of complexity, number of rolling bearings and inertia.

OK, it fits, but the vehicle for me is unusable on account of its restricted lock. Try manoevering a trailer with the thing. Volvo have suffered from a lack of variety of in-house engines (compare VAG) and that mythical Chief Engineer...

Not a complete disaster by any means but in my view, not a very good compromise either.

Edited by 659FBE on 30/08/2012 at 18:48

Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - dadbif
I have double de clutched all my driving life, I find alleviates the boredom, but at the same time satisfying that I am not s******* the clutch/gearbox
Volvo V70 1999 - New Car - Any advice welcome - Avant

Thanks 659 - glad to have an explanation of why modern Volvos have such an awful turning circle. The old 240s turn on a sixpence - RWD of course but some FWD cars, like Skodas, are perfectly respectable in this regard. My Octavia has a better turning circle than SWMBO's Mini.

The Audi A4 I had was excellent - could that be because - if I remember right - its engine isn't transverse?