Skoda Octavia tdi 105 - Diesel filter leak possible problems - RevJack

A dodgy O ring caused the diesel filter in my Octavia to leak for a couple of days, which contaminated the Auxiliary belt (which frayed and was replaced). Do I need to worry about the timing belt, or is it well enough covered? It is not due for a change for 20k.

Skoda Octavia tdi 105 - Diesel filter leak possible problems - Peter.N.

Difficult to say really, you need to be able to examine the timing belt cover especially around the edges to see if its wet. The chances are that it will be OK unless its been completely drenched which is unlikely given its location.

Skoda Octavia tdi 105 - Diesel filter leak possible problems - 659FBE

Given the unwise positioning of the fuel filter on these cars relative to the drive belts (when will VAG ever learn about leaks and gravity?) I would consider a very careful check of the cambelt to be essential.

Diesel fuel is very searching in its action and will degrade some kinds of rubber very quickly. You have too much to lose by not making a careful check - and if your car has a frayed auxiliary belt, maintenance in this area will have been lacking.

Any reputable/half-sensible garage will change the auxiliary belt with the cambelt. If yours is frayed, it's time to find out what lies beneath the cambelt cover - it's easy enough to check. Auxiliary belts on these cars last as long as cambelts.

Another lesson to learn is to use only the highest quality fuel filters (I suggest Mann & Hummel or Bosch - I've tested them) and fit the supplied "O" rings to the thermostatic "T" in the right order and lubricated with engine oil. Chinese filters are a menace here and often leak because the bore for the "T" is improperly formed. I have seen some VAG OE filters made in China...

Don't risk writing off a really good diesel engine - do everything properly. These engines are completely intolerant of poor, sloppy or ill-informed maintenance. They repay good maintenance handsomely.

Skoda Octavia tdi 105 - Diesel filter leak possible problems - RevJack

Thanks for that - will get it checked out on Monday. Tempted to just do the timing belt now for peace of mind.