Incorrect Car Parking Fine - dsuk81

I received a letter from Town and City parking saying that i was being fined for car parking in Scotland.

This is clearly incorrect as i have never been to Scotland.

Is this a scam by the company or an indivdual in the organisation to get a bonus?

Or has my car registration been cloned....?

I am not planning on paying the fine, despite the letter talking about debt collection agencies, what should i do?

They said they have got my details from the DVLA, have they not commited an offence by doing this, as they have no right to access my information as i have not commited an offence.

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - Ethan Edwards

I believe any cowboy parking outfit can get your details from the DVLA if they show good reason. Good reason is £2.50 apparrently.

Try www.pepipoo.com but that sounds to me like a private company. So it's a civil matter.

Don't panic. If you feel inclined you might contact them telling them that you were not the driver, the vehicle has been mis-identified as you can prove you were hundreds of miles away at the time. I would also inform them that they have no contract, verbal, written or implied with you and that any further communication will be considered by you as tantamount to harrassment. Mention the Protection from Harrassment Act 1997.

You maybe could also demand photographic proof. In any event don't pay these scum a penny. If it was me I would go out of my way to waste as much of their time as possible.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Incidentally never let debt collectors in even to 'use the phone' or for a 'glass of water' etc. If refused entry they are powerless so do not be afraid.

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - voy2age

Don't know if this will help, but i had a fine from the london congestion charge, when i was 300 miles away (i had a witness btw), i reported the matter to the police and the Dvla (who asked if i wanted to change my reg number for free). i then wrote to the london council and told them the facts plus the police crime number and witness statement, i told them that if the matter was not dropped and i had any futher letters other than a cancellation of the fine, i would see this as harassment and would take legal action, it was dropped and no fine.

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - daveyjp
Town and City are an operator in private car parks, quite often supermarkets. They have sent you an unenforceable invoice, not a fine.

Don't waste the price of a stamp, simply ignore them. One of their back room monkeys will have filled a form in wrong.
Incorrect Car Parking Fine - SteveLee

Incidentally never let debt collectors in even to 'use the phone' or for a 'glass of water' etc. If refused entry they are powerless so do not be afraid.

Correct, however, if you leave a door or window open they have every right to access the property without your permission. Also I beleive once they've been in legally, they can force entry at a later date.

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - BigJohnD

If you feel inclined you might contact them telling them that you were not the driver, the vehicle has been mis-identified as you can prove you were hundreds of miles away at the time.

ANPR is not 100% accurate.

Zeroes and "O"s get interchanged, and goodness knows they make of chavplates with misplaced characters and coloured retaining bolts accidentally repositioned to create new letters.

Result: Your registration number.....

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - bananastand

Having seen HJ's reply I feel sick! Parking companies have relied on scaring people, sending letters with policey-looking black and white check stripes on them etc.... but now can they really just dive in and nick your stuff?

This is the sort of thing that Alex Jones warns about on infowars, if any of you have seen him. This is tyranny and corporatism. Aaaaaghghgh!!

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - Bromptonaut

They, ie private parking companies, cannot just dive in take your stuff. You have to get a summons and ignore it or lose case first. Just like any other civil debt.

Even where Councils, who have wider powers, want to enforce there's a notice of registration of debt sent by the County Court. If that's wrong (no knowledge of proceedings etc) then you can make a sworn declaration and it will be withdrawn.

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - concrete

Well people: welcome to Camerons Britain. HJ and many others including myself put a petition online to try to get this section of the PoFA debated and overturned or amended in Parliament. We warned that everyone seemed to be sleep-walking into this and it has turned out to be correct. Too late, came the cry!! HJ is right. We need to see how the defences against this vile Act are interpreted by the Courts. If common sense prevails and a decent precedent is set then there may be hope. Watch this space.

Nice letter though, clearly setting out the common sense position enshrined within exising law. This may be enough to base a sound defence, lets hope so.

Good point about Scotland though. I think the PoFA may not apply in Scotland. In which case the OP should just ignore the b@st@rds. It would be interesting to find out if this is true.

All Cameron has to do, at little or no cost, to make us feel he is on our side and make us all feel better, are a few small gestures. Revoke this obscene section of the PoFA- cost = nothing. Abolish the ridiculous tolls on roads and bridge/tunnels-cost= three fifths of f**k all. Similar thinking applied to banks etc when they try to rip us off. All the swines that use 08 telephone numbers so we pay them to call them and complain. Come on Cameron- whose country and money is it? Clearly not yours.

That's better. Going to lie down now. Cheers Concrete

Incorrect Car Parking Fine - Bromptonaut

This particular section of PoFA does not apply in Scotland - most Transport stuff is devolved.

In any event the OP, never mind the alledged infringement, were well before these bits of PoFA came into effect; the PoFA discussion is a bit of thread drift.