Audi a6 avant - Garage refuses to pay for fault - mrgraeme
I bought the vehicle from a second hand dealer with a four week warranty. Six weeks later the turbo broke and needed replacing. As the car was out of the warranty I paid for the work and the replacement of the oil/air filters. On collecting the vehicle they stated the turbo had imploded due to the oil and air filter being in a poor condition. Due to there now being a link between the damage and the garage I bought it from I contacted them. They requested a report from the garage before making any decision. The garage report stated the oil/air filters were heavily contaminated with soot. The vehicle was last serviced by Audi in October 2011. Since that date the vehicle had only covered 15k, (1k in the time I owned it).
I have since received a reply from the garage stating they won't give me a penny as I didn't inform them of the damage at the time, ( I didn't because the vehicle was out of warranty and didn't believe the damage was attrubuted to them). They also stated that the Audi garage who serviced the vehicle in October would have paid 70% towards fixing the fault, (even though the vehicle has covered 112000 miles and is 4 years old!)
I believe they should pay for the work carried out as I don't believe they checked the filters prior to the vehicle being sold, (they had bought the car the day I viewed it), and on there website they state all cars are thoroughly inspected before being advertised for sale. Should I take this further?
All replies would be gratefully received. Thank you
Graeme
Audi a6 avant - Garage refuses to pay for fault - bonzo dog

Hi Mr G, the dealer would normally have full responsibility for this sort of major fault which occurred only 6 weeks after purchase.

The problem is that they now have a defence against paying for the repairs since you did not give them the opportunity to repair the fault in the first place.

Your arguement should be that the 4 week warranty by definition did not state that you were obliged to offer them this opportunity once the 4 weeks were up.

Should I take this further?

In my opinion yes. I think that the likely outcome will be that the dealer contributes to the cost of the repair but not in full, either by his own choosing or by the court's decision.

Good luck

Audi a6 avant - Garage refuses to pay for fault - mrgraeme
Gonzo thank you for the advice. I am going to take it to the ombudsmen first, see how I get on and then maybe the small claims court. Will let you know how I get on. Mr.g