Mondeo Zetec TDCi 138 - 2010 Ford Mondeo TDCi gearbox concern - DurhamRed

I purchased a 60 plate Mondeo Zetec TDCi with sport pack in May this year, spent my savings on this car after recovering from a serious illness I promised I'd go and buy myself something decent to drive. Car cost me £9500, its got 41000 on the clock now with 2 ford services and a 3rd service from the independant dealer I bought it from. It had 38000 on when I purchased it.

Last month the gearbox started to feel really stiff when changing gear, not every change only occasionally but in particular when changing to2nd, 4th or 6th there would be resistance and a grinding or rubbing noise as I tried to engage the gear as if the clutch wasn't fully pressed! It happened enough times to warrant dropping the car into my local ford dealer who could find nothing wrong, the car was kept by them overnight as the issue tends to appear on a morning on my way to work.

Anyway its happening again, now I've found its getting more prevalent on a morning and normally during the first 12 or so miles where my journey is a mix of country lanes and villages so obviously the speed varies and gearchanges are fairly frequent. For the rest of the journey (and the return home in the evening) the gear change is quite smooth although I do think the box is slightly notchy but that may be a normal characterisitic, im not sure.
Clutch pedal seems ok, bite is good and progressive and the fluid resevoir is full. Reverse engages ok. I have, daft as this may seem found that if I feel some resistance during a gear change I literally 'waggle' the gearstick in neutral, double de-clutch and then select the gear again it goes in ok. Note the problem is definately more related to changing up (e.g 3rd to 4th 5th to 6th, than for instance 6th to 5th). Any help on this issue would be very welcome. Before I go back to the ford dealer I'd like to be armed with a bit of know how if possible.

Edited by DurhamRed on 20/07/2012 at 17:00

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 138 - 2010 Ford Mondeo TDCi gearbox concern - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Could be the problem which all front-wheel-drive Fords have. Many contributors to this board have suggested that plastic bushes in the gear-change linkages go dry and sticky. My Fiesta suffers a stiff gear-change in dry weather but clears in wet and cold weather. I've cleared it by getting my arm under the gearbox with an aerosol can of lubricant. Anybody who's read my other posts will know that this would be a can of Duck Oil!

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 138 - 2010 Ford Mondeo TDCi gearbox concern - sandy56

Have a look on the Ford Mondeo owners site. There is some comment about this.