Focus 2008 diesel - Focus 1.6 diesel oil filter - frogman333

Hope someone can answer this one which is baffling me ? Have replaced element oil fiilter in my daughters focus but can't figure out what the small plastic tab with the small o ring does ?? When you look into the filter housing the only place the element can fit is with the o ring and plastic tab restricting the smaller of the two pipes that come up from the housing. If the centre one of these two delivers the filtered oil to the engine what does the smaller one do ( which is effectively blocked by the filter element O ring as mentioned). The engine runs OK and no low pressure warning. Just can't figure it out ??

Any expaination would be appreciated.Ta

Focus 2008 diesel - Focus 1.6 diesel oil filter - grimep

I did this job last weekend and wondered the same thing. I guess if it works it doesn't matter :-)

Focus 2008 diesel - Focus 1.6 diesel oil filter - frogman333
Glad it ain't just me then!
Always fitted canister type on past cars, first time fitting one of these type.
Thought the smaller pipe outlet was the pump delivery, but it can't be or daughter would be paying ( or probably me ) for a new engine by now !
Focus 2008 diesel - Focus 1.6 diesel oil filter - grimep

Yup. What caught me out was trying to thread the plastic cap back on. I undid and moved the steel pipe to the intercooler in the end which made it much easier, I'll know next time.