Cars with seats higher from the ground - writersblock

We have friends who have problems with mobility and they want to buy a car with seats which are higher than normal. They do not ant to have to 'drop' down onto the seat and nor do they want to have to struggle up from a low seat.

Has anyone any suggestions as to suitable 4 door mid price cars ?

Many thanks

Top Reply

Cars with seats higher from the ground - gordonbennet

I'll suggest the vehicle i always suggest for questions like this, with the bonus of cruising over our third world roads without a care, nicer drive than you would imagine too.

Berlingo/Partner.

All Replies

Cars with seats higher from the ground - gordonbennet

I'll suggest the vehicle i always suggest for questions like this, with the bonus of cruising over our third world roads without a care, nicer drive than you would imagine too.

Berlingo/Partner.

Cars with seats higher from the ground - RT

Crossovers - most manufacturers do them.

B-i-l used a Ford C-Max very successfully with our disabled Mother-in-law.

As I'm tall, I find that soft-road SUVs are ideal for my arthritic frame - crossovers aren't high enough and when I tried a full-size Toyota Landcruiser but felt I needed a parachute to get back down - I just slide across to get in my Hyundai Santa Fe.

Cars with seats higher from the ground - daveyjp
Honda Jazz, Merc A class and Merc B class all do as you want.

Mercs have the bonus that because they have a thick sandwich floor the floor is level with the bottom of the door. On most cars there's a cill you have to lift your feet over to get out, without the cill getting out is easy as you just slide your feet out.

This doesn't apply to the new B class as they don't have a sandwich floor.

Edited by daveyjp on 19/07/2012 at 22:56

Cars with seats higher from the ground - Avant

I don't think the forthcoming A-class does either: it's no longer unique and just looks like a mini-C-class. Overpriced and soon to be over here.

The outgoing A-class isn't the size of car I need but it has a lot to offer, as long as you don't have the intolerably noisy diesel.

Cars with seats higher from the ground - madf

This site is great for people with motability issues.. Lots of relevant details.

http://www.ricability.org.uk/consumer_reports/mobility_reports/car_measurement_guide/

Cars with seats higher from the ground - Jase
Our C-Max (the original model) is perfect for my wife's aging grandmother. She can get in and out miles easier than she can the A-Class (2nd generation) that my wife's parents own. The seats in the A-Class are higher - so you have to help the grandmother get "up" into them, whereas the C-Max ones she can go straight in without a noticeable drop.
Cars with seats higher from the ground - Mike H

Berlingo/Partner.

My parents are visiting us at the moment, they have a Partner Tepee. My mother has problems with low seats and finds it OK. The other issue they found was that it's not only low seats that are the problem, but the distance in from the sill - they ruled out some cars they tried because the seat was set so far into the car (crash protection presumably).

Can't agree about the nice drive, I've driven a few miles in it this week. The diesel engine is good (don't know which they have), feels smooth and torquey, but I couldn't live with what is the worst gear change I have encountered for many years, and it feels too roly poly on even gentle bends at moderate speeds. Comfortable in a straight line however. Brakes ludicrously sharp with heavy nose diving. Couldn't live with it!

Edited by Mike H on 20/07/2012 at 09:40

Cars with seats higher from the ground - jc2

Make sure they can get out as well as in-many cars with high seats are a long way from the ground!

Cars with seats higher from the ground - thunderbird

We had a C-Max that my mother found easy to enter and exit. We now have a Kia Ceed and with the passenegr seat raised to a higher position its just as good.

Mother and father had a Jazz they had to sell it since the design of the seat made it near impossible for mother to get in and especially out, The seats slope steeply to the rear trapping you and are quite low. They have a Micra now which is perfect.

Ford Fusion was good for mother as well, they nearly bought onme when they sold the Jazz but the Micra did verthing they required for lesss money.

Cars with seats higher from the ground - tony g
We bought a Suzuki sx4 petrol auto for my 82 year old mother in law ,in 2007 .the car has proved reliable and offers all the features that the op is looking for .the added bonus is that it looks more interesting than most of the options available ,plus the prices are very competitive .

Tony g
Cars with seats higher from the ground - Dabooka

Vote #2 for the SX4; took one out when looking to replace our car last month and it'll tick all of those boxes mentioned by Tony above.

My pals mum just bought an i20 because of the ease and driving position; I've never sat in one so can't comment, but it's done the job for her.

Cars with seats higher from the ground - Wicker

My inlaws have similar requirements (mid-80s) and have had a Vauxhall Meriva for a couple of years. Not very exciting I know but it meets their needs.

Cars with seats higher from the ground - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I see a lot of older people driving the Nissan Juke. Presumably for comfort/ease of access rather than aesthetic reasons?
Cars with seats higher from the ground - TeeCee
I see a lot of older people driving the Nissan Juke. Presumably for comfort/ease of access rather than aesthetic reasons?

I have to say that I found the idea of someone possibly driving a Juke for aesthetic reasons somewhat amusing.

Even Ssangyong designers look at those and wonder what Nissan's lads were smoking......