Mazda MX5 1.8L '51 Plate - Replacement tyres - rg5
My elderly Bridgestone tyres are poor (2-3)mm at the front but have 4mm tread at the rear. I am considering Yokohama, or similar brand replacements. I drive about 5,000 miles per year, mainly on A roads and am a gentle driver. I am prepared to trade mileage for cost but demand a good level of safety. Would my "Trading down" cause any significant problems. You advice will be gratefully received.
Mazda MX5 1.8L '51 Plate - Replacement tyres - 72 dudes

For the sort of miles you do, trading down will have no ill effect.

Many MX5 owners say they swear by Yokohama Advans. Not sure that they are much cheaper though. Toyo tyres also get good reports.

Personally, I think the Avon ZV5 represents a good balance between premium quality and value for money. They have a fairly soft compound so low noise and good ride comfort, but they will wear slightly quicker

I would avoid budget brands with Chinese sounding names like Linglong (tiddle-aye-po)

Mazda MX5 1.8L '51 Plate - Replacement tyres - A. Badger

I can't recommend Toyos highly enough. My wife and I run a Eunos as a 'fun' car (which it is!) and I'd had Toyos recommended by several MX5 owners. I took the advice when I first needed tyres for the car and I've been extremely pleased - so much so that I switched to Toyos for my Honda Accord as well and have found them excellent on that, too.

My impression (and that's all it is) is that Toyo is a top class brand still trying to break into the 'big time' in the UK, so selling for below major brand prices.

Incidentally, the latest Toyos I've bought (two for the Honda earlier this month) were Japoanes-made, as have been all the MX5/Eunos sized versions. I may be wrong, but I tend to trust Japanese anufacturing quality over some other sources!

Edited by A. Badger on 19/07/2012 at 00:24

Mazda MX5 1.8L '51 Plate - Replacement tyres - 1litregolfeater

Turn them front to back and do another 5 years!

Well, that's an option of course, but the OP already describes them as 'elderly'.

I have experience of old tyres with good tread on one of my wife's old cars which also did a very low annual mileage. They tend to harden over time and eventually small cracks appear on the sidewall.

Best change them if you have the funds.

Mazda MX5 1.8L '51 Plate - Replacement tyres - Collos25

How do recommend tyres most motorists either do not purchase them themselves very few motorists use the tyres to their full extent and we do not buy enough different brands and types to draw a realistic comparison.We are left with price and looks the conception is that the dearer a tyre is the better it is but thats not true whats good on one car maybe not so good on another best just to buy what is in your price range they will probably be just as good as any other.

I agree to some extent, but there is quite a lot of information out there, from Which? reports to tyre testing websites which rate each tyre for wet grip, dry grip, noise, comfort and mileage. Enough to make an informed choice I would say.

These four bits of circular rubber are the only thing keeping your car on the tarmac.