Renault Clio II 1.2 Petrol '99 - Clio 1.2 has intermittent starting issues - akon34u

This car frustrates. It will run for 3 weeks with no problem, then all of a sudden it has this issue. It will initially start to choke whilst driving along, which is the sign of things to come. It will then rev itself to high revs, then low, then high, then it will stop completely. The next stage is that you then cannot start the engine again - it will just turn over as if you have run out of fuel. Call the AA, wait 20 mins, by the time they arrive, it will start again and then drive perfectly fine to another 3 weeks or so. In reality, the not starting issues are random and can happen any time, but usually a few weeks apart. It will usually start from cold, but after a short drive of say 8 miles, if you switch off, then go to start, it will also have this problem. Has happened in the petrol station a couple of times, whereby it wont start after you have filled up. On every occasion that someone wil expertise has turned up, it always starts. - So frustrating. I will add the technical bit after this.

Renault Clio II 1.2 Petrol '99 - Clio 1.2 has intermittent starting issues - akon34u

It has already had the TDC sensor replaced. The fuel pump appears to pump (listening to the noise). The fuel pump relay has worked when tested. The throttel body appears to collect oil, as far as I can see from the engine breather tube that joins the air intake from the air cleaner to the throttle. The oil then drops and floods the air temp sensor, but this has been cleaned already. Although I see in other discssions with similar issues, there have been suggestions to replace the CTS (coolant temp sensor), so far I have resisted this as I cannot see how this could be the cause. I did read in the Haynes manual that any malfunction of these sensors and the ECU would revert to 'backup' mode where the engine would still function in a less efficient manner - but would also show a warning light, which this car doesn't. Other folks have suggested the Idle control stepper motor, but idling is not a problem, it either works fine, or it just wont run at all. Generally fails at busy junctions at traffic lights, or at large roundabouts. Suggestions would be much appreciated as this car needs to be sorted or it will go to meet its maker - finally.

Renault Clio II 1.2 Petrol '99 - Clio 1.2 has intermittent starting issues - mccgarage
This to me Initially sounds like a crank position sensor they get hot wire splits inside car stops wont start car cools down wire contracts sensor reads again car starts give us a ring if your in Cheshire can sort this for you 01606215697

They also suffer from blocked greatness at the rear of the engine and these are also some symptoms of mass air flow sure it's the cps though
Renault Clio II 1.2 Petrol '99 - Clio 1.2 has intermittent starting issues - mccgarage
Blocked breathers sorry auto spell on ipad
Renault Clio II 1.2 Petrol '99 - Clio 1.2 has intermittent starting issues - Candy

I have just purchased a 2012 Clio that has an intermittent non-start problem. I was sold it with the manufacturing fault and to date Renault have been unable to provide a solution. I understand your frustration about the car not having the fault when someone looks at it. I have had the diagnostics run on the car but if the fault doesn't occur at that time then it is not picked up. Along with this fault I also have the issue of the car hesitating when accelerating as if the fuel is not getting through and then suddenly shooting off when the fuel does get through(particularly noticable in 2nd gear). It seems like this is a common fault in Clio's as I have seen numerous stories relating to this type of fault. I would be interested to know if anyone else has a new Clio with the same fault.

Renault Clio II 1.2 Petrol '99 - Clio 1.2 has intermittent starting issues - ptaurissr
Hi candy

I have the same problem you describe! Renault did an ecu update in jan 2013 (there is a technical bulletin from renault) and it has made things better but not totally fixed. Still intermittent starting problems teice a week on average - did you get your problem fixed in the end?

renault have nothing else to offer; disappointing on a four month old car! It is still at their garage, they are keeping it until the fault shows up again!
Renault Clio II 1.2 Petrol '99 - Clio 1.2 has intermittent starting issues - injection doc
On the older Clio the most common fault is either crank sensor, coolant sensor or wiring loom over near side suspension strut.
The coolant sensor goes to either approx -10 or plus 133 degrees due to water ingress into the sensor ! It will NOT flag as a fault so can only be detected by live data readings. If the crank sensor does not work the fuel pump won't run.
Whe wiring loom corrodes where it runs over the near side struts and causes intermittent running issues.
Coolant sensor is the most common and will cause it to not start and make the idle speed erratic.