Audi A4 1.9 TDI - Rough Idle - snozzleman

I have an ageing Audi A4 1.9 TDI (03 plate 120,000miles) that has been a great car until a few months ago when it started to idle roughly intermittently. It has not lost power and the fuel consumption has not gone up. It pulls smoothly at all road and engine speeds. My local Audi dealer has fitted a new EGR valve and electronic engine mount but this has not solved the problem and I am now several hundred pounds poorer. They have given up and tell me it will cost "a lot of money" if I want them to look further. There are no faults showing on the diagnostics and the injectors are all working well within spec. They say it may be a DMF issue but that this is unlikely because there are no other symptoms. It does not smoothe out when the clutch is depressed and there are no knocks when pulling away or stopping the engine. They also say it may be the head wiring loom. Either way they say there is no easy way to check these things without significant cost. Can anyone help me get a diagnosis without spending even larger amounts of money?

Audi A4 1.9 TDI - Rough Idle - Peter.N.

It sounds as though its missing on one cylinder intermittently this could either be due to a faulty injector or as they mention a fault in the wiring loom causing a loss of the operating pulses on the injector. The only way to determine it if no fault codes are showing up is to connect an oscilloscope to each injector lead in turn and see which signal is missing.

Audi A4 1.9 TDI - Rough Idle - Peter D
What is the engine code on the ID lable in the spare wheel bay. I suspect AWX and it is a 1.9 PD TDI. It sounds like the cable harness inside the head. Regards Peter

What is the engine code on the ID lable in the spare wheel bay. I suspect AWX and it is a 1.9 PD TDI. It sounds like the cable harness inside the head. Regards Peter

Thanks Peter. Engine code is AWX. It's a 130 hp.

Thanks for the response Peter. I assume that checking with an oscilloscope will tell me if it is the loom? So then if there is no fault in the loom, we're looking at an injector. How can the injectors be checked? The Audi dealer says they are all working within spec. An independent fuel systems man also said the flows are OK a few months ago.

Audi A4 1.9 TDI - Rough Idle - craigy1980

ive worked vag for 12 years or more now. i would go and buy the injector loom and fit it anyway. they were troublesome on 1.9 8 valve pd engines. about £40 to £50 from vag.