Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - Bobbin Threadbare

Well I have done an owner's review for the main site and I have now got a bit of time to add one to the forum, in the manner of Craigpd's Volvo V60 review.

I have had the MX-5 for 10 days now, and I've done about 230 miles in it, all mixed driving at the moment. Been bezzing it up and down the M6 and driving around town too.

Driving it:

As I said, mixed driving so far. It performs excellently in town traffic; the clutch and gearbox are really decent (Mr B prefers it over the Mazda 6) and it's not a chore to get stuck in a bit of traffic. It never feels laboured and it's very responsive indeed. At first I felt it was a bit twitchy but it took about a day to get used to it! It's great on the motorway although road noise is greater than the Mazda 6, but I really don't mind, especially not with the radio on. It comes into its own on A-roads, and on any twisty country lanes. I haven't pushed it too much yet though. I've never had a rear wheel drive car before and I'm happy with its behaviour! Acceleration is super and there's a nice boost when you hit 3000rpm (Mr B wondered if it has a turbo...!)

Comfort:

I have a dodgy back and knee from an accident a few years ago, so seat comfort is important to me. The seats are lovely supportive leathery ones and I've had no problems getting in and out of the car (be a bit embarrassing at my age if I did). I can get the roof up and down from the driver's seat, although I find pulling it back up quite hard from the seat. Mr B has been a little put out because basically the car is too small for him (he's 6ft 3)! As a passenger he is fine but the seats haven't really got anywhere to go so it's cramped for him to drive. Not a problem for me (only 5ft 7). Wind buffetting with the roof down isn't too bad either.

Practicality:

It hasn't. Simple as! I can get three full large shopping bags in the boot though and I have got the Mazda luggage rack on the back if I wanted to buy a trunk....Stereo system is great though! I will be commuting in it (about 55 miles per day) come September and I think it'll handle that just fine; previous owner (one from new) did about the same.

Costs:

I got it for under my budget and didn't px/ my Mazda 6, which I will sell myself. VED is £195 so it's cheaper than the Mazda 6 and I only had to add about £40 to top up my insurance. I seem to be on course for 40mpg which I am really pleased with, considering the type of car (I never bought it for economy to be fair). Mileage is about 60k and it's been so well looked after that I don't need to do a thing to it.

I absolutely love the car. F-i-L is really jealous; I can see him fitting something like it into his retirement plans....!

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - gordonbennet

Good write up, they really are a cracking little motor, durable too.

Look after it well and it should last many years.

A lady i know wanted another car some years ago, i suggested getting one, many years later she still has it and it was still going well last time we crossed paths. One thing she did neglect was the cooling system and ended up with a new rad @ around £120 so no big deal, and she had to have a new roof which i believe got vandalised, but there is a good aftermaket parts industry for these as you will hopefully (not) find out, so parts are not ruinous prices.

Out of almost all the 2 seaters they are the only one i can get in and out of without contortions.

Thanks Gordon.

I understand that the MX-5 needs special coolant so I will keep my eye on that carefully. I am also going to look into getting a solid roof for it, but that'll have to wait a bit.

I am looking forward to some seriously fun motoring....it's a really little head turner too.

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - NARU

Glad you're enjoying it.

Missing a few details - I don't pop in here that much these days, so you've probably been discussing it before in a different thread ...

Which model of MX-5? Engine size? 5-speed or 6-speed? SE or Sport?

Haha sorry!

It's a 1.8, 5-speed cabriolet with the option pack. The 2.0L version pushes insurance costs too high for me.

Glad you're enjoying it. I have an RC which I love driving.

Some good sites for you, in case you haven't found them yet:

www.mx-5.com/Forum/

forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=46

And some hints and tips from the US site:

Hints and tips

Edited by Marlot on 03/07/2012 at 07:45

I can't make that hints a tips link work. You'll find it on miata.net

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - craig-pd130

Sounds like a fun car, hope you continue to enjoy it :)

PS - aftermarket turbocharger kits are available, with everything needed to make it a more or less bolt-on conversion, from around £1,500 for 40% more power and torque. #Justsaying ;-)

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - martint123

Have fun and enjoy it. I bought a Cat D Mark 1 for 3k and sold it after 10 years of happy motoring for 2k. So nice cheap motoring. Very reliable. A couple of potential rust spots - seam just to the rear of the doors on the sill and inside top lip of rear wheel arch. Handbrake bit of rear calipers can stick as well.

Yeah I think people find that the running costs of MX-5s are a pleasant surprise, and they are just interesting and fun enough to retain reasonable resale value, and it looks like they get decent p/x offers too.

No tempting me to aftermarket turbos....!

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - unthrottled

I'm really jealous! Years ago, I joined in the chorus of naysayers who dismissed the MX5 as a hairdressers' car; how wrong I was! The design never seems to age, and, on public roads, winding up the 1.8 is probably more fun than having 400 horsepower that you can't really use.

BTW, now that both you and Mr B have coupes/roadsters, what do you use for hauling junk around?

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - craig-pd130

I think Car magazine used to sum the MX5 up as "an MG without the tears", which seems increasingly accurate as they've accrued classic status.

The first models still look great, as you say.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 03/07/2012 at 20:47

Haha Mr B also mocked the MX-5's feminine aesthetic but keeps on 'borrowing' it to nip out in, even though he is squashed in it.

Yes, the 1.8 is more than adequate; it's 126bhp pulling a very light car. I don't imagine I am missing much by not having the 2.0L.

As for hauling junk around, you would be surprised what you can fit in a Celica; recently, about 600kg of gravel, in two trips. I admit, I did feel strangely guilty choosing a car with no practical value in regard to giving lifts or going to the tip etc, but then I drove it and the guilt melted away.....

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - ohsoslow

Good to hear you have got your 5, I am sure you will enjoy it. As for the hard top roof - there will be many days during the winter when the sun is bright and the roads are dry for some great open top driving, having to wrestle a hard top off may spoil this fun. The heater should be really good, find a suitable hat, perhaps a fleece and enjoy! Check in the Owners Club sites to find the roof drains, (There will be pics that will be better than me trying to explain their location, I assume Mk3s have them) not a great problem, but need to be kept clear.

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - Avant

You should have lots of fun with the MX-5, Bobbin. Whe I was looking for a fun car four year ago, an MX-5 was the obvious choice, and I very nearly went for one. It's more of a true sports car than the 'grand tourer' BMW Z3 which I bought instead, but the Z3 (a 2.2) has that wonderful BMW straight-six engine whose sound I still never tire of.

The decision was finally swayed the Z3's way by SWMBO (clearly a different shape from Gordonbennet) finding it easier to get into and out of.

If anyone in the South is after an MX-5, I can thoroughly recommend Peter Sturge of Alton, Hants, who is an MX-5 speclalist and at the time had a lovely example which I came close to buying.

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - 72 dudes

Bobbin, I also have a Mk3 MX5 (2007).

A tip for when you pull the roof back up (or indeed let it down). Lower the windows a couple of inches or open the doors - roof goes up and down easily! :>)

I agree with the comment about the hardtop - forget it. Too much trouble to store in the summer as well.

Yeah I discovered the window things the first time the roof wouldn't go back up properly. I'm well impressed with the seal actually; I had to open the windows to let the roof down. Shame it won't stop raining!!!!!!!

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - 72 dudes

Keep it above above about 35 MPH and you won't even get wet, unless it's torrential!

I think it's time to update my owner's review of my lovely little car, as I have had it for a few months now, and I've been commuting in it for a month.

The roof doesn't come down as often (it's been too rainy) but the car has behaved well in the torrential rain and the roof is extremely well sealed, which is good. I feel very safe in it and importantly, comfy (no achy back from the seats).

I have tested out the heated seats as it's been getting chillier and those are great; I've never had a car with them before. The stereo is also up to Mazda's usual awesome standard and now I've had time to faff with it and balance the bass etc.

I am doing 54 miles per day on the M6 in it and it's returning 40mpg consistently. I can't argue with that as it is a daft little sports car; economy wasn't really a huge factor and I'm not exactly dawdling on my journeys. That's actually better than my Mazda 6 ever managed.

No niggles or need to mend anything. Parking took a bit to get used to; I kept swinging it round like I would for the big car, but it turns on a sixpence :-)

I heartily recommend them, or something similar, if you've no large stuff to carry or children etc. Puts a smile on your face to drive it.

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - Avant

Thanks very much for that, Bobbin: we none of us know each other properly on a forum like this, but you sound like someone ideally suited to an MX-5!

It's not surprising that the MX-5 continues to be successful after 20 years: you get all the fun without the temperament. It's the car that the MGF should have been, and perhaps would have if some idiot hadn't designed a completely inadequate cooling system for it.

Let's hope the winter weather isn't too unkind to you in the North-West: with RWD you may need winter tyres.

Let's hope the winter weather isn't too unkind to you in the North-West: with RWD you may need winter tyres.

Yes I have already started researching those.....!

I am updating this thread - I have now done 6000 miles in my MX-5 and it's impeccable. It's the best car I have ever had (ok yes 3 cars isn't many but I've only had my licence for almost 5 years).

I never imagined commuting in a convertible but it works really well. I've had no problems with it even in the snow. We get terrible gales up here across the motorway and the wind mostly just goes over the car instead of pushing it about!

I have appreciated the heated seats this winter too. MPG is as I reported previously. I didn't get winter tyres; the Rainsports have been perfectly suitable.

Looking forward to being able to put the roof down again!

If anyone has ever considered one of these - buy one and enjoy it! You won't regret it!

Mazda MX-5 - Owner's Diary - Trilogy

About ten years ago I had a MK1 and loved it. I have considered getting another one because they are now rather cheap, but they do rust.

In due couse I intend to post an Octavia MK1 diesel v MK1 Focus diesel comparison, now I have the latter.

A quick update!

I have run my MX-5 for 12k miles now. It's still impeccable. My commute is still about 60 miles per day but it'll be dropping to about 15 miles soon. My only niggle is having to buy a new undertray due to decapitating a duck on the M6 - the tray cracked!

It's so much fun to drive - usually after a year or so's ownership of a car I am researching my next one, but not this time.

I am getting a dog soon though, and I'm not sure the dog will like the MX-5.....does anyone else put a dog in their 2-seater?!