vw golf mk. 4 v5 1999 - A.B.S warning symbol came up on dash - joewright
having only covered 200 miles last year and have just had an MOT 4 weeks ago. I have covered less than 10 miles since MOT yesterday I took the car out for a run, having covered 3or 4 miles the ABS warning came up on the dash with a red disc shape sign next to it also STOP consult manual could anyone help please
vw golf mk. 4 v5 1999 - A.B.S warning symbol came up on dash - Peter D
Have you checked the fluid level. If that's OK you need a diagnostic code read to check the ABS sensors are all working. Regards Peter
thanks peter, I have not done anything as I did not know what to do. I will check the level and get back, thanks for a second lot of information last was fans last year cheers
checked brake fluid level /ok. started car warning symbols came up on dash ,turned off ignition. depressed brake pedal started engine warning gone off .pedal soft with a lot of travel, tried to pump pedal, slight pressure but pedal depresses when pressure is kept on pedal, seems to be excessive travel. no sign of fluid leak at all cheers
vw golf mk. 4 v5 1999 - A.B.S warning symbol came up on dash - Collos25

I hope you are not driving the car - with the limited information you have supplied it could be number of things from Master cylinder ,abs unit ,faulty caliper it needs a good looking at by somebody who knows what they are doing.

the car has done 103,200 miles in total ,tested a month ago since then i have done about 5 miles the brakes have been soft but stopped very well in the past. the brakes still function but the pedal after being pumped to try and build up pressure ,will depress if the pedal is held down , would these symptoms point to any of the poss. faults you have suggested cheers