Superstitious battery charging - mikem004
I drive 25 miles to work every morning. Mostly motorway. 95 Micra 1.0.

On cold mornings, about 1 mile from my work destination, I switch off:

* heater fan
* radio
* lights (if safe to do so)

I do this in the (probably mistaken) belief that this will ensure the battery is "well charged up" for when I have to start it again 8 hours later, at 5PM in the evening.

Any factual basis for my superstitious behaviour?

Bruce
Superstitious battery charging - Cliff Pope
I know just how you feel Bruce, but I suspect that the precautions you take are unnecessary.
A car alternator gives about 80 amps. Two 60 watt headlights will be consuming 10 amps, the heater fan may be 5, the radio 2, the ordinary ignition electrics etc 10, etc. But nothing like the full alternator output. Remember, if the ignition warning light is out, then there is a net inflow of charge into the battery.
Also, a car battery in good condition has a large capacity. A 60 amp-hour battery would run the headlights for 3 hours even if you were stationary, and still be only half discharged.
I think these wise precautions only become necessary if the battery is on its last legs.
Superstitious battery charging - M.M
Mike,

I think you are remembering back to the 1960s and dynamos!

Current vehicles that start promptly without churning over, have a decent battery and an alternator will be fine for your use.... without resorting to losing the music/Terry Wogan 1 mile out.

25 miles is a decent length commuter run for a car in all respects.

MM
Superstitious battery charging - BrianW
If you think of the number of cars that are used in town on a daily basis, with perhaps a four or five mile run in slow traffic, without battery problems, I am sure you will agree that you are being over-cautious.
Superstitious battery charging - madf
My wife drives a Peugeot 106 mainly in evening with heater fan, rear window heater and radio on all the time! Acreage journey length 1 mile. No of journeys in day /week about 3, at night about 5.

Apart from a failing battery (replaced ) and a loose alternator belt it NEVER requires separate battery charging. (in nine years!).

A credit to modern design: it still runs like new (yes it's a diesel:-)
madf
Superstitious battery charging - Drivethru
I have a 2000 Micra 1.0 and I notice that when I switch on lights or heater the engine noise increases a little, sounds stupid but is this normal, I have never noticed it in other cars iv'e had.
Superstitious battery charging - Dynamic Dave
I switch on lights or heater the engine noise increases a
little,

It's most probably the alternator making the noise as you've given it some work to do.
Superstitious battery charging - BrianW
It is the load coming on the alternator.
This would normally slow the engine a little, but the idle control increases the power to keep the idle speed stable, hence the extra noise.
Perfectly normal.
Superstitious battery charging - kithmo
What you are doing Bruce is (as many of the replies point out) not necessary for the battery's sake but you are helping to save the planet. Each electrical item you switch on adds a little more load on the alternator, which in turn adds a little more load on the engine, which leads to a small increase in fuel consumption. So you are actually saving fuel (albeit only a small amount).
Superstitious battery charging - Peter D
True in the days of the Morris 1000 and the Austin Cambridge when the Dynamo and regulator box were common place but not now with the alternator and you journey time, assumming a reasonable speed is maintained.

Regards Peter