Hyundai Accent - Car Buying Advice 2000 Hyundai Accent - AArora

Hi,

I'm male, 24, just got my driving license 10 months back. I'm thinking about buying a 2000 hyundai accent 1.3 SI 3DR and need advice on how good an idea it is. My main reasons are that it is a low insurance group and is not exactly a hatchback ( & for some reason I like the looks of it ) and is cheap as well ( around 750£ ). The last MOT ( September 2011 ) had the following advisory notice :

Rear of main pipes. Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Rear x 2 Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Corroded Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)

Nearside Front brake juddering slightly (3.7.A.2b)

Offside Front brake juddering slightly (3.7.A.2b) I checked the car out at the dealership and the engine (revved it quite a bit), gearbox, electrical's, oil etc. all seemed to be fine. The area around the engine & under the bonnet was a bit rusted though & maybe the disk brakes a bit( didn't get to have a proper look at them). The dealer has agreed to get an MOT done & passed if I pay for it so that it will be fine for an year from when I get it.

So my main question is, how bad an idea is it to get it? Would I be spending lots of money on maintainence after getting it? I will most probably have a test drive before getting it to see if it drives ok. Also, if I have to replace all the stuff written above how much would that cost me for an Hyundai accent if anyone has an idea (With/Without disc brakes, as they may need replacing as well)?

Any help is appreciated...!!

Thanks

Hyundai Accent - Car Buying Advice 2000 Hyundai Accent - johnnyrev
I had a 2000 Accent 1.3 for 5 years, bought it at 2 years old and kept it for 5 years. It was a good little car, it handled quite badly (very vague steering) but was comfy, reasonable mpg, and reliable.

The only problem I had with it in 5 years was when a gearbox linkage broke leaving me stuck in 2nd gear. That cost a couple of hundred to fix but other than that it sailed through MOT's and never let us down again.

The 3 door hatch looks vaguely coupe-ish I thought and was very practical as well. During my ownership our son turned up and for a couple of years it accomadated all the baby related gear.

Towards the end of our ownership the interior got a little tatty, the gloxe box catch broke, but overall it was a very good little car!
Hyundai Accent - Car Buying Advice 2000 Hyundai Accent - bonzo dog
Hi AA, If anyone ever asks me what cheap, reletively reliable, smallish car at around £1,000 I invariably say Accent.

For this sort of money you can never be sure how reliable a car will be but I can tell you that you are more likely to have a few years out of this than most others of the same price.

Good luck
Hyundai Accent - Car Buying Advice 2000 Hyundai Accent - galileo

My perpetually impoverished stepson ran an X reg Accent, bought for £650, for 2 years with no problems. This year he part ex'ed it to a small trader for a 2004 Accent for a net cost of £700, everything still works, so another vote for these as inexpensive transport.

Hyundai Accent - Car Buying Advice 2000 Hyundai Accent - AArora

Hello Everyone,

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Guess I'll have a test drive to check it out further and ask the dealer to get the MOT for an year. Hopefully everything will work out.

Cheers.

Here's the link to it : http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201224475541552/sort/default/usedcars/make/hyundai/postcode/wf20hw/quicksearch/true/page/1/radius/1?logcode=p

Just a bit concerned about the rusting and taking it to the highway. :S