Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - vauxhall astra diesel 1997 won't start - BrianMH

Hi,

I have a vauxhall astra 1997 diesel. It won't turn over. It doesn't seem it is even drawing power when trying to start. It started fine and it was running fine. It will bump start fine and run. Last night it wouldn't start and then this morning it started 3 times fine but now won't even turn over again. The battery doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I'm thinking possible ignition switch problem.

The key operates the central locking fine (by turning it in the lock). Any ideas on some troubleshooting I can do?

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - vauxhall astra diesel 1997 won't start - Peter D

Either you have an ignition key barrel problem or a connection to the Starter pre-engage solenoid. Is there a 'click' when you turn to the start postion. Regards Peter

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - vauxhall astra diesel 1997 won't start - BrianMH

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I seemed to have it sussed out now. The engine ground cable was quite greasy and when wiggled it started up again. Using a bit of abrasive I cleaned it up a bit and tightened it and it hasn't had any trouble starting yet. I'm not sure why it didn't cause other problems. Maybe it was allowing enough power to run but not turn over. Come to think of it the battery light kept flashing on occasionally and this may sort that too. If anyone else has this trouble it would be worth just checking.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - vauxhall astra diesel 1997 won't start - TeeCee

>> I'm not sure why it didn't cause other problems. Maybe it was allowing enough power to run but not turn over.

Er, 'cos it's a diesel and once running does not need any power to the engine components to keep going? It would explain the flashing ignition light, that would be the alternator charge ceasing as the connection to earth is interrupted.

Did you smear the end of the earth strap and the contact point it goes to with vaseline prior to reassembly? That is good practice and will prevent any problems with damp in the future. Any of the proprietary battery terminal jollops will also do the job, but vaseline is as effective, cheaper and most people have some knocking around anyway.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - vauxhall astra diesel 1997 won't start - Spal

Can you tell me what the click is?