Buying a used car... - DriverinSurrey
Hi Everyone , I recently bought a car (Vauxhall Zafira comfort 1.8, 02 plate) that I was told was in great condition but wasn't as a result have spent load on it with still pending problems . I am now going to get rid of it as no way I am going to get the 2000 I have spent on it . I have decided to give up and buy another . I am on a very low budget to buy my next car . I have a 300mile round trip to make in July and that's the reason I wanted to buy the car . I was wondering whether anyone can get ideas on a old car that can deal with this type of journey . I was thinking of getting a zipcar for the journey , however I just think its a waste of money.
I have been offered a Honda Civic estate 1999 , Ford Galaxy 1998 , Toyota Avensis 1998 and Honda Civic 1998 Auto .... arent all these cars too old ? I am interested in anyone opinion and ideas for other cars . I look forward to hearing from you .
Buying a used car... - mss1tw

My gut instinct says Civic estate if it's been serviced.

Cheap cars aren't all crap, and not all crap cars are cheap. ;-)

Buying a used car... - hallington

I only just got rid of my 1998 citroen estate because the radiator had gone and it needed the cambelt doing, but before that I was happily doing 500 mile round trips in it. The engine still sounds lovely :) So old cars aren't bad!

Buying a used car... - Graham567

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a car for the 300 mile trip.

That way,you would get a decent modern car that shouldn't break down.

Hi and thanks for your input ! about hiring ... If I do , it will cost me around £500 , I was thinking it would be cheaper to add some money on top of the amount and get a car I will own .

Buying a used car... - unthrottled

...a Honda Civic estate 1999....

...Toyota Avensis 1998

arent all these cars too old ?

Not at all! Realistically, they will probably be tired by now-and the ones that aren't 'tired' will have spent too long sitting around not doing anything and will probably have more serious problems. But a good late nineties car is still perfectly serviceable.

I do 300+ mile round trips in a mid nineties car with complete confidence.

Sounding promising unthrottled ! what type car do I look for ??? I always hear how that Japanese cars are the only reliable ones for this type of trip . Is that so ?

Buying a used car... - unthrottled

I always hear how that Japanese cars are the only reliable ones for this type of trip . Is that so ?

Not really. Japanese cars are good, but your money doesn't go very far so you have to buy much older/higher mileage than a comprably priced French car.

You need a bit of luck. I would recommend buying local-very local if posssible. People are less likely to blatently lie to someone that they are likely to bump into in the newsagent.

With old cars, the previous owner is more important than the marque of the car.

Old Pugs, Citroens and Renaults are held in very low esteem and you can get a reasonable car for a few hundred pounds.

Otoh, If you know the person selling the civic or the Avensis-grab either. You can''t guarantee that the car won't break, but you can be reasonably sure that the owner won't knowingly sell you a lemon!

Buying a used car... - gordonbennet

And don't overlook Korean cars, usually robust and durable, get them for peanuts because they don't have the right badge.

Agree completely with appraising the seller as well as the car...if it quacks and waddles its a duck.

To be honest I did over look Korean cars , I had to google to find out what cars they were ! at least my search for a reliable car can be widen .

Buying a used car... - Sam49

Toyota Avensis - loads of S,T, V reg (1998-1999) ones running about as taxis, mainly petrol. I've got a W-reg one. Just did a 1,000 mile round trip in it - no worries and very comfortable. Check the coolant, oil and tyres and away you go!

Thanks for the tip Sam49 I will have a look around for that one too .

As the Avensis I had my thoughts on has now gone *sigh*

Buying a used car... - Bobbin Threadbare

My sister's BF drove a Kia Rio around the dales of Yorkshire - his mum had it before him and he ran it for 8 years (so it took some teenage mistreatment too) until he traded it for a Clio.