Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - kendun
Hi folks,

I am after some advice /recommendation for a small car for my wife to use for work which involves a lot of short trips in traffic/town, so after a reliable car with low mileage.

From a budget perspective, my absolute maximum is £6000 and I have looked at used cars in this price range and Kia Rios seem good value for money as I can get 2010 reg cars for less than £6000 and the 7 year warranty seems good. A Kio rio seems okay space wise (for car seats) for picking up and dropping my kids (infant and toddler at nursery etc).

Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris,Ford Fiesta and VW Polo are more expensive for a 2010 reg and Hyundai I20 is slightly more expensive than the Kia Rio.

Are there any other cars you can recommend for my price range and requirements? Any reasons to not go for a Kia rio?
Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - Auristocrat

After perusing the Kia and Hyundai used car locators, £6K could buy you a 2009/2010 Kia Rio 1.4 petrol, or a 2009 (09/59 reg) Hyundai i20. With the i20 the 1.2 seems to be the one to go for - performance is little different to the 1.4, and economy slightly better. The i20 was named as the best value best buy Supermini by Which? earlier this year.

Another car you could consider would be the Daihatsu Sirion - although Daihatsu are pulling out of Europe from 2013 (due to exchange rate issues), engines are shared with the Toyota Yaris (Daihatsu are majority owned by Toyota), and spares shouldn't be a problem.

Had you also thought of the Hyundai i10? Or the Toyota Aygo?

Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - Happy Blue!

I thnk the Rio you are looking at is the old model whereas the i20 is a fairly new model, with better safety and more efficient engines. So I would see if you are able to spend an extra few hundred pounds and buy an i20.

Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - daveyjp
Delivery mileage outgoing model Fiat Panda for £5,395 is worth considering.
Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - golfhacker27

The i20 is currently being updated, although I believe the updates are minor details, with the main difference being a new nose job to match the rest of the family.

My wife just picked up an old-nose i20 for a very low price because the dealer was offloading the old-nose model. Whether you buy new or s/h, the facelift will be driving the old-nose model prices down.

5 years warranty is less than the Kia, but the i20 will still have some warranty remaining (assuming you pick up a 2010-2011 s/h) and will be better to drive than the old-model Rio (although the new Rio just out has been getting much-improved reviews and my wife test-drove one, she still preferred the i20).

Based on two months with the i20, we would certainly recommend it.

Edited by golfhacker27 on 13/06/2012 at 17:12

Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - kendun

Thank you All for your input and help, much appreciated.

I am veering towards a Kia Rio as there appear to be quite a few problems mentioned about the I20 for eg clutch problems etc on various forums. I guess the rio will have it's fair share as well but online forums seem to mention more about the I20 problems.

I will have a look at the other options mentioned in this thread as welland see if they fit in within my budget etc. Will do a detailed serach about I20 again.

Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - injection doc

Have a look at the Citreon C1

Remeber its not a Citreon but a Toyota aygo badged as a citreon. We have two for town work.

Both have been excellent with NO failures or faults in 4 years and between 55-72mpg

5 dr model best . Japanesse reliability excellent value for money.

Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - RT

"Japanese reliability" ?

The Aygo, C1 and 107 are simply the result of a PSA/Toyota joint venture and they're all built in the Czech Republic !!

You could equally say that the Aygo is a rebadged Citroen C1 !!!

Edited by RT on 14/06/2012 at 20:24

Kia Rio - Recommendations for a small car for town driving - Auristocrat

The petrol versions are Toyota engined - hence Japanese reliability. It is the same 1 litre unit as used in the Yaris, and Daihatsu Sirion.As the diesel versions are no longer imported, these cars are more Toyota than PSA.