petrol into diesel car - hillman

Can anybody point out a succinct source of information on the effects of accidentally running a diesel engine on petrol.

I bought a Morris Minor MM side valve many years ago in Zambia as a project. Not only were the speedo mileometer gears worn out (didn't work) so I had no idea of the mileage, but the car emitted so much blue smoke from the exhaust that following drivers couldn't see beyond. I refurbished the engine and enjoyed 11 years of motoring before I gave it away when I returned to the UK. I imagine that a similar effect would occur if petrol were accidentally used in a diesel engine.

petrol into diesel car - Doc

http://tinyurl.com/csgrzmr

Diesel fuel pumps operate on very fine tolerances and at very high pressures – modern systems run at between 350 and 1600 bar) – and are lubricated by the fuel. Petrol in diesel acts as a solvent, reducing lubrication, and can cause damage to the pump through metal to metal contact.

Metal particles from the damaged pump can be deposited in the fuel causing further damage to the rest of the fuel system.

Some fuel system seals can be affected by the compounds in petrol too.

The further the contaminated fuel goes in the system the more expensive the repair. In some cases it can be cheaper to fit a new engine!

Common rail (or HDi) diesel engines are particularly vulnerable – if fuel contaminated by pump wear debris gets as far as the common rail system you may have to replace the low and high-pressure fuel pumps, injectors, fuel rail, line filters and the fuel tank.

Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) petrol engines are particularly susceptible to damage too.

petrol into diesel car - hillman

Thank you, Doc. That is quite comprehensive.

A supermarket filling station in Salford was misfulled when a delivery driver accidentally loaded a tanker full of diesel into the petrol tank. The news report said that 400 cars were duffed before the 'authorities' put two and two together.

petrol into diesel car - unthrottled

Unit injectors (VAG PD engines) are not as susceptible since they are oil lubricated and no high pressure fuel pump is required.

It used to be common practice to add petrol to diesel in colder climes to stop the fuel from gelling in winter.

tbh, lots of diesel cars suffer a whoops! moment when a few litres of unleaded is inadvertantly added. Most survive for many more years. As long as the petrol is well diluted it is rarely catastrophic.

petrol into diesel car - Armitage Shanks {p}

6 years ago I put about 5 litres of petrol into a PSA diesel car. I added 25 litres of diesel to top it off and a triple dose of Miller's Diesel + ( Liked by some and reviled by others!) The car has a further 60K miles on it and still runs fautt free